Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Houdini Disappearing Act" when using Break View

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
kwilson_design
1285 Views, 12 Replies

"Houdini Disappearing Act" when using Break View

I have a coworker who came to me today with an issue on a IDW. When using the Break View command and then editing the break segments it causes a 'disapperaing act' with the drawing resources folder, notes, etc. Basically anything on the drawing aside from placed views will disappear.

I have made some test parts and assemblies to try and replicate the issue on a new drawing but can't get it to start acting up. Seems to be tied with this perticular assembly but why it would cause the IDW to act up is what I can't figure out. I was wanting someone with ADSK to investigate this perhaps.

I have screen capture recorded this event using Camtasia but it's larger the upload limit (file is roughly 1.5 MB). Any other way to upload it to ADSK? FTP maybe?

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

OK I have been able to narrow down this behavior. If I have the view as an outline (not shaded) then all is well but the second I change for the view to be shaded is when the issues arises. I've seen similar behavior in previous versions of Inventor whennever a drawing is made that uses a file that has a bitmap or image file associated with it. In this perticular case my coworker is assembling a valve assembly which uses a pressure gauge which has a bitmap for the gauge dial face.

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 3 of 13
bobvdd
in reply to: kwilson_design

You are not specifying the version of Inventor that you are using, neither in your question nor in your signature 🙂

Post your Camtasia video to Autodesk 360 and then share it privately with me (bob.van.der.donck@autodesk.com).

Thanks.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 4 of 13
kwilson_design
in reply to: bobvdd

Sorry about not specifying which version we are on. I have updated my signature 😉

I also uploaded the file on ADSK 360 and sent you an invite. Thanks!

Regards,
Kenny
Message 5 of 13
bobvdd

Thanks for the video Kenny.

It is interesting to note that the revision block and titleblock disappear from the graphic screen after modifying the break view but in the browser they are still there. Clearly pointing towards a graphics related  problem.

I'll see if I can repro this on my end. I am thinking in the direction of the changed text clipping behavior that we introduced in 2013 (here is a related post).

I am  wondering if your bitmap could start clipping the titleblock and revision block...

I assumed your bitmap is used as a decal. Is the area of the bitmap large or is it confined to just the dial?

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 6 of 13
kwilson_design

Yup they still show in the tree (*and on the drawing but white or transparent). You can see it when I hover over the revision block as it highlights the 'invisible' rev block.

Yes we use the bitmaps for gauge faces, decals and nameplates that go around our cylinders (I'm in fire protection industry). Typically the bitmaps are not large and cover relatively small portions of the models. In this case it's just on the gauge dial face and no more than 1.75 inches in diameter.

This might be related to a similar phenomenon that we've noticed where the bitmap will not render on the drawing at all sometimes. Only when you select the option to show hidden lines does the bitmap appear. This issue doesn't happen every time but we have seen it happen with 2013 on a few occasions.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Kenny
Message 7 of 13
bobvdd

Bingo. I can repro quite easily this display list corruption on my machine.

I am not 100% sure if it has something to do with bitmaps in drawing views because I can also reproduce it without decal bitmaps being present and when I have rendered weldbeads in the view. See the image where my titleblock all of a sudden disappears (the revision block also disappears if I zoom in and out a bit).

I logged it as defect 1469533 "Revision and title block disappear from graphics after editing break view".

Saving, closing and reopening the drawing seems to cure the problem, so I don't see any "permanent" damage being introduced by the problem.

1469533.jpg

Thanks for reporting this.
Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 8 of 13
kwilson_design

Thanks Bob!

Yes we do the 'work around' by saving the file then re-opening it....so long as we don't re-adjust the Break View.

Will the solution come out on the hot fix or future service pack?

Thanks again for your help on this.

-Kenny

Regards,
Kenny
Message 9 of 13
bobvdd

You won't like to hear me say this but generally speaking we don't do hotfixes with for issues with an easy workaround (like in this case). However I marked it as a priority 2 defect to indicate my desire to process it soon.
Service pack 1 is around the corner. Not sure if we can still get it in but I will try.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 10 of 13
kwilson_design

Yea I would hope they can add it in, if not in time for the SP1 then later down the road. One can only hope right? 🙂

Thanks again for all your help and expressing your concerns for a resolution. We use Break View quite a bit as I'm sure many others do as well.

-Kenny

Regards,
Kenny
Message 11 of 13
bobvdd

Kenny,

I have good news for you. We double checked and your issue is solved in the upcoming 2013Sp1.

Meanwhile there is a slightly less annoying workround than closing the Inventor session:

• Open the drawing file
  • Open the assembly file (Update the assembly if you get an update dialog)
  • Switch to the drawing file and the break should behave OK.

bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 12 of 13
kwilson_design

That's GREAT news Bob!!

I will try your other workaround. Beats having to close and re-launch 🙂

Thanks a ton!!

Regards,
Kenny
Message 13 of 13
jannik.mortensen

Hello,

We have the same problem in our company. Running PDSP 2013 and PDSS 2013 on roughly 40 workstations. We can reproduce the same error on 4 different Dell workstations and the 4 different graphiccards.

We have installed SP2 update 3

It an annoying issue for us. When will Autodesk solve the issue?

KR

Jannik Mortensen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report