Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
randallgraham4313
Message 1 of 6 (1,179 Views)

"Find Assembly Components" question

1179 Views, 5 Replies
05-17-2011 05:56 AM

I have a very large assembly and am trying to find where a component is in the assembly. I open the "Find Assembly Components"  binocular icon above the browser and no matter what number I plug in, it can't find it. Even when I plug a number that is visible in the browser, it can't find it. I am obviously doing something wrong in what I am plugging into this diag box. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for me? Thanks

Randall

daltec2
Message 2 of 6 (1,161 Views)

Re: "Find Assembly Components" question

05-17-2011 06:56 AM in reply to: randallgraham4313

When i fill out the following info in the "Find Assembly Components" it finds the Component/part/assembly im searching for.

17-05-2011 15-46-19.png

randallgraham4313
Message 3 of 6 (1,149 Views)

05-17-2011 07:34 AM in reply to: daltec2

Thanks

I tried what you suggested and it works to a disappointing level. The part I am searching for is buried in a sub-assy and

after the search I could not find it highlighted anywhere. I did find it when I did an 'expand all' then I had to scroll thru maybe 40 screens on the browser, then I located it. In the perfect world, and I have seen this on other systems, when you do a search for a part, it would automatically highlight it and it would expand only the appropriate sub assy and put it at the top of the browser window. Unless someone can show me a setting I need to activate, I would need to expand all and manually scroll thru the whole browser to find the component. I hope there is an easier way. Any suggestions? Thanks

Randall

randallgraham4313
Message 4 of 6 (1,110 Views)

05-17-2011 11:43 AM in reply to: randallgraham4313

This is a difficult thing to describe but allow me to explain further. If you highlight a part in your model  and initiate the command  ' find in browser' , the item is highlighted in your browser and you are directed to the highlighted item. If you highlight an item listed in the browser, and initiate the command 'find in window' , the machine zooms to the part in your display area and highlights it. When I do a 'find assembly component' command even if it finds it, I have to 'expand all' and start scrolling thru the browser menu's. And on a large assembly, there could be hundreds of screens. If that is just the way it is, I can accept that too. I just need to know if I should stop looking.

Thanks

Randall

rolabendan
Message 5 of 6 (995 Views)

08-30-2012 05:00 AM in reply to: randallgraham4313

It'd be nice if the "Find Assembly Components" command presented the number of instances it found, as well.

Active Contributor
stephenrottloff7259
Message 6 of 6 (790 Views)

03-13-2013 02:41 PM in reply to: randallgraham4313

Most of the time you use the find tool because most parts are hidden within an assembly, and, you normally work with the shaded view on.  Switch to wireframe mode first, then use the find tool.  Even though the model tree may not get expanded to show the found parts, they will be highlighted in the model view and are easy to locate in 3D space.

Stephen R.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.