Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cut Normal" bug? Inventor 2015 Pro

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
chrisw01a
1950 Views, 39 Replies

"Cut Normal" bug? Inventor 2015 Pro

So I thought this would be great since we do alot of this type of cut through cylindrical sheet metal parts...

It works great on flat pieces, but on an angled "rolled" part, it really messes up.  Am I missing something?

Move the end of part up past "Cut1" and the cut appears, but also, it takes material off the back of the part!

Capture.JPG

Tags (4)
39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40
p.panther
in reply to: jletcher

HI TO ALL TIN BASHERS

I SPEND 90% ON INVENTOR TIME USING SHEET METAL, WHICH IS A PLEASURE TO USE MOST OF THE TIME

I LIKE MANY OF YOU HAVE LONGED FOR THE CUT NORMAL FUCTION, SO WHEN IN 2015 IT WAS ADD I WAS DELIGHTED

BUT DISSAPOINTED WITH IT'S LIMITATIONS. IT CANT HANDLE CUT TO CONICS OR CYLINDERS IF THE CUT PASSES THROUGH EDGES

AND  CUTS TO BENDS THAT CHANGE DIRECTION SO FOR THE MOST PART ITS BACK TO UNFOLD CUT AND REFOLD

WHICH WORKS MOST OF THE TIME. BRAVO TO AUTODESK FOR STARTING THE PROCESS HOPE THEY KEEP IMPROVING

THE FUCTION UNTIL WE HAVE A MORE RELIABLE COMMAND

PHIL-I-P    

Message 22 of 40
wilkhui
in reply to: chrisw01a

Hi Chris,

We've internally fixed both the issues that you reported at the beginning of this thread but we still have some validation to do. Nevertheless, keep an eye out for any Updates and Service Packs and thanks again for contributing to Inventor improvements 🙂

Feel free to get in touch for anything else,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 40
p.panther
in reply to: wilkhui

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE
AND REFRESHING TO KNOW YOUR ON THE CASE WITH WHAT MUST BE A VERY COMPLEX TASK
TO COVER ALL PERMUTATIONS THAT ME OCCURE
AS A 40 YEARS PLUS SHEET METAL WORKER FORM SCRIBER TO 3D CAD
INVENTOR SHEET METAL GIVE ME HOURS OF PRODUCTIVE USE
AND EVEN MORE HOURS OF FUN JUST TRYING OUT WHAT'S POSSIBLE
GREAT USER INTERFACE AND IMPROVEMENTS WITH EVERY RELEASE
MAKE IT A WINNER
THANKS AGAIN
PHIL
Message 24 of 40
wilkhui
in reply to: p.panther

And thank you for the encouragement and feedback, Phil!

Best wishes,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 25 of 40
johnsonshiue

Hi! This particular issue has been resolved on the Update1 to R2015. Please download the update and try it out. After the update is installed, simply open the sheet metal part and do Rebuild All.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/update-1-fo...

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 26 of 40
chrisw01a
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The issue has not been resolved.  It is still doing the exact same thing as the first time I tried it!

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Tags (1)
Message 27 of 40
chrisw01a

It cuts out the whole backside of the part.  This is a new part, and I tried "rebuild all".  Same result.

Message 28 of 40
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think indeed, the issue is not completely resolved by Update1 yet. But, for the part you attached to this thread at the beginning, do you see the correct result?

The issue here is that Inventor fails to pick the persistent planar reference before and after cutting normal in this case. For contour roll profile on XY plane, the problem seems to go away on Update1. But, if the profile plane is not on XY, the bad behavior is still there. I will work with development and get to the bottom of it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 29 of 40
p.panther
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi to all interested in the cut normal and pattern on cone developments

I have a solution that seems to work in most cases if you may be useful

to try. You may be able to follow the working from the ipt if not

i will run through the  method and it also folds and unfolds ok

phil-i-p

Message 30 of 40
smccoywm

Here is another scenario that still does not work after Update 1.

Cut Error.JPG

Message 31 of 40
p.panther
in reply to: smccoywm

HI

With oblique cones you have to be careful where you place the opening

it does not like cutting through joins - the cut normal option still need working

on to make it more robust

please see one work around you may be able to use

cheers

Phil-i-p

Message 32 of 40
benyang.he

Hi everyone,

I tried all the parts on Update1, and found the cut normal issue on the first part attached by Chris got fixed on Update1, but it still takes material off the back when circular pattern the cut normal. The cut normal issue still exists on the second part posted by Chris even on Update1(recreation or rebuild). The SA-RDC5X005.ipt attached by Smccoywm failed in one direction but succeeded in the other direction. I’m afraid it’s a limitation since it’ll pass through edges. Anyway, I’ll confirm this with our developers and product designer.

I’ll summarize all the reproducible issues (on Update1) and let our developers investigate them, and will keep you informed when getting addressed.

Sorry for any inconveniences it brings.

Thanks,

Webber

Message 33 of 40
p.panther
in reply to: benyang.he

Hi Webber,

Now on update 2 for Inventor 2015 and still no fixes for sheet metal  cut normal on the conics

and the inadility to pattern cuts, and the fold and unfold still not working on conic

wondered if any progress is being made or is this not a priority bug.

Cheers

Phil-i-p#

Message 34 of 40
benyang.he

Some cut normal issues will be fixed on Dyson SP1 instead of Update2. Please try it then.

Thanks,

Webber

Message 35 of 40
p.panther
in reply to: benyang.he

Thanks Webber for you swift reply,

It's reassuring to know you always listen

to you users needs.

Cheers

Phil
Message 36 of 40
dshev199

I've got the same problem and other problems with a lofted sheet metal (circular both ends) part when trying to cut normal. 

The part that is trying to be created is a cone for the top of a vertical round tank that has vertical nozzles in the top, we get this piece laser cut in flat pattern and are trying to add the holes to where the nozzles are required.

Problems:

-When cutting the part with a rip in it, it opens the rip up further or makes a random cut around the rip. The cuts can also move around to different locations

-Tried to cut the part before making the rip and cannot cut as errors are created when trying to execute the command.

-Lofted part as semi circle and then cut normal, some cuts are accurate, but others move around to different locations.

I'm using Inventor 2015 with SP2+

Hope this can be solved in the new release as Cut Normal would be a very handy function if it was 100% reliable

Edit: Screenshots added

Before

CONE BEFORE.png

After (sketch and cuts visible)CONE AFTER.png

Message 37 of 40
p.panther
in reply to: dshev199

HI
The cut normal is still in its infancy and has a way to go
to being stable in all cases
What I have found sometimes works is to have the rip in
the sketches that the loft is generated from, but make the
gaps in the circles radial with the centre not the same amount
Have attached e.g not sure if this is what you are doing.
Cheers
Phil
Message 38 of 40
SBix26

@dshev199 , it appears that your part is a cone.  What happens if you model it as a revolved surface (359.9° to leave a gap for unfolding) and thicken?  Does the Cut Normal option work then?

Not suggesting that your modeling technique is the problem, but perhaps a different technique would work around the obvious Inventor shortcoming.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 39 of 40
dshev199

Revolved sheet metal does not give an accurate flat pattern for our manufacturing technique.

The loft flat pattern is accurate as it gives a shape of a pie with a slice cut out of it.

Whereas a revolved flat pattern gives more of a rectangular shape.
Message 40 of 40
dshev199

I'm pleased to say the 2016 release seems to have fixed these issues.

It pays to have the latest software release 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report