Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Convert Entities" in Inventor

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
AutoMCD
12359 Views, 39 Replies

"Convert Entities" in Inventor

Hi All,

I Have searched and simply can't find the answer to this basic question-

How do you "Convert Entities" (Solidworks), "Copy Geometry" (Creo) in Inventor? I've tried the Project Geometry tool, but it only brings in reference geometry. The geometry I am projecting is rather complicated and I don't want to have to recreate in every sketch and part.

What am I not doing or is there some other approach to this situation?

BTW- The geometry I am trying to reference in my various parts is Derived from a common Skeleton part file made up of 2D Sketches and planes.

I thank you in advance.

Jeff

39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40
AutoMCD
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi All,

Unfortunately it seems that what I've been trying to do can't be done in Inventor without extra steps- a lot of extra steps in my case. Breaking links forces me to reapply every constraint to my geometry. Not breaking links requires me to redraw my geometry. My skeleton files have all kinds of lines and circles, often on the same sketch. Rarely can I project tidy "closed" profiles (the only thing Inventor treats as non construction). I take a line here, an arc there, then trim to the closed profile I desire. I'm trying to think up a good workaround, but it is eluding me. Kinda bummed. This extra step thing is what had me switch from ProE to SW.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me try and figure this out.

Jeff

Message 22 of 40
JDMather
in reply to: AutoMCD

@AutoMCD wrote:

....Kinda bummed. This extra step thing is what had me switch from ProE to SW.

Attach your Pro/E or SolidWorks file(s) here to see demonstration of how to efficiently accomplish the identical geometry in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 23 of 40
AutoMCD
in reply to: JDMather

Here you are.

Message 24 of 40
JDMather

This one will be a good candidate for demonstrating simple technique.  But Friday is my slow day.  The delay in posting the files might result in a delay in getting a solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 25 of 40
AutoMCD

Alright. I look forward to seeing what you propose. Bear in mind the part file I provided is for one of the pieces in a mechanical wedding ring I manufacture. Each ring has 4+ parts unique to the particular size ring I am making. Because I offer my rings in about 40 sizes, you can see the need to have an easily scalable assembly model.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Message 26 of 40
torbjorn

Could you use 'share sketch' to achieve this? (Right click on the sketch for the first feature, select share sketch)

One common sketch can be shared for several features, and for skeleton modelling this can control a complete assembly. 

Torbjørn

Message 27 of 40
JDMather
in reply to: torbjorn

Share Sketch works the same in Inventor and in SolidWorks.

EESignature

Message 28 of 40
AutoMCD

Not sure what the benefit of "share sketch" is for my situation. It only works with geometry consumed in a 3D part.

Jeff

Message 29 of 40
JDMather

Bump!

Let me see what I can come up with.

But my first thought is, "Why didn't use use multi-body solids with configurations in SWx?"

EESignature

Message 30 of 40
JDMather

OK,

I would change the technique to multi-body solids in Inventor or SolidWorks and then push out the assembly.

I would use the BORN Technique with all sketches on the origin planes and no other workplanes created.

In SolidWorks I would use Configurations.

In Inventor I would use iPart.   (Maybe with iLogic.)

Looks like an interesting problem - wish I had time to re-create from scratch.

EESignature

Message 31 of 40
AutoMCD

Thanks for your reply JDMather. 

What you suggest is very differerent from how I've designed in the past and may or may not be the best/most efficient modeling technique for my work (I like the blank canvas/don't have to have everything figured out ahead of time nature of my "skeleton" technique). Unfortunately, I don't currently have the time to explore a whole new approach so will need to stick to tried and true in Solidworks. I would ask you for suggestions on worthwhile tutorials of your technique so that when I do have time, could have a look.

Also, if you communicate with the programmers of Inventor, perhaps you could put a plug in for adding the feature I initially inquired about and which does not seem to exist- namely, being able to use projected geometry directly. I only see it making modeling quicker. And, importantly reduce learning curve for those of us coming from Solidworks and/or Pro-E.

Jeff

Message 32 of 40
JDMather

@AutoMCD wrote:

Thanks for your reply JDMather. 

....(I like the blank canvas/don't have to have everything figured out ahead of time nature of my "skeleton" technique).

I would use the same multi-body solid technique in Inventor or SolidWorks, and I would figure out things as the design progressed.
I look at something like this like a crossword puzzle.  I fill in the blanks that I know and the rest (that I don't know) eventually falls in place.

I think this one would make a really good example for my book, but I don't have time to start writing it till I retire (Dec 2023).

EESignature

Message 33 of 40
AutoMCD

Hi again JDMather,

I put down the "learn Inventor" project for a while, but have some time to pick it up again.

This multi-body solid technique is quite a different philosophy and I'd love to find a succinct description of it as pertains to creating assemblies. If you know such a thing I would appreciate you steering me to it.

Generally speaking what has served me for so many years- making parts with a common skeleton file, then assembling them, is to be replaced with- making one part file made up of a bunch of solid bodies, then constraining these solid bodies into my desired assembly. Right? And if so, and say I want to add another part to my assembly, I go back to my original part file and create a new solid body? Would an assembly ever have more than one multi-body part? Under what circumstances?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Message 34 of 40
sholmes

Just out of curiosity - if it is working for you in SolidWorks why are you looking at Inventor?

Message 35 of 40
AutoMCD
in reply to: sholmes

Autodesk offered me an opportunity to be a part of their Pier 9 Artists in Residency Program. Pretty cool place if you've ever been.
Message 36 of 40
sholmes

Very cool! I've used Inventor since 2003 and I've done some work in SolidWorks recently as well as some in Pro/E (shudders!)

They all have plusses and minuses as you know! I wish I could assist more but I haven't done much like what you are trying to do. Hopefully some of the folks here can help you out. I do get rather annoyed by Project Geometry at times myself.

-Seth

Message 37 of 40
Metsan

Hi everyone,

I have same issue. I want to use some counters in a sketch of another part in assembly. In solidworks you can do this easly with convert entities. I mean, you can convert any sketch from a different part to current part you work on in assembly. Is there anyone to solve this issue in inventor?

Message 38 of 40
JDMather
in reply to: Metsan

@Metsan wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have same issue. I want to use some counters in a sketch of another part in assembly. In solidworks you can do this easly with convert entities. I mean, you can convert any sketch from a different part to current part you work on in assembly. Is there anyone to solve this issue in inventor?

Project Geometry is the equivalent of SolidWorks Convert Entities.  But I think you should learn the basics before using assembly top down modeling.

EESignature

Message 39 of 40
jay.andrews

Hopefully you guys still around this forum on such an old thread!

Long time SW with a few brief stints of Inventor and going way back lots of autocad 3D work, currently evaluating Inventor to possibly replace SW(I always liked inventor, smarter setup than SW in many ways).

My problem with project geometry is I am trying to project an imported from dxf complex sketch as my first feature.  I want to leave that sketch unedited.  I want to create another sketch on the same plane then project that sketch geometry to the second sketch to work with.

It DOES allow me to from within sketch 2 to individually select the 17 million or so sketch entities which could take weeks (I'm exaggerating because I don't like wasting time selecting things individually when I should be able to window select at least).  In Solidworks I would just highlight sketch one in the feature tree and the 'g' key "convert entities" projects all of the sketch geometry to sketch2 with references.

I'm surprised preselecting isn't working.  How can I select all of the sketch segments at once instead of individually in this situation?

Message 40 of 40
t.walkerXB5DL

I understand what you are talking about being a SolidWorks user coming over to Inventor.

Use the Project Geometry command.  It will project as a line for construction.  Highlight the new construction lines, then click on and off the button for construction.  The button is found on the sketch tab under the format section.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report