Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Convert Entities" in Inventor

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
Anonymous
12507 Views, 39 Replies

"Convert Entities" in Inventor

Hi All,

I Have searched and simply can't find the answer to this basic question-

How do you "Convert Entities" (Solidworks), "Copy Geometry" (Creo) in Inventor? I've tried the Project Geometry tool, but it only brings in reference geometry. The geometry I am projecting is rather complicated and I don't want to have to recreate in every sketch and part.

What am I not doing or is there some other approach to this situation?

BTW- The geometry I am trying to reference in my various parts is Derived from a common Skeleton part file made up of 2D Sketches and planes.

I thank you in advance.

Jeff

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Curtis,
No that's not it. Geometry is already successfully Derived to my other parts. The trouble is in converting derived geometry into usable sketch geometry in the new part(s)- without remaking it.
Jeff
Message 4 of 40
Cadmanto

Jeff,

Not sure exactly what you are saying in regards to project geometry only bringing in reference geometry.

In Solidworks with the convert entities you get something like this.  Which can be used to create features from.

convert entities.jpg

Thus in Inventor with the project geometry command you can do the same thing.

project.jpg

As long as it is enclosed like any other sketched lines, arcs and circles it will project into regular features.

project1.jpg

Can you either post your file or at least show some images?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 40
JDMather

Attach example  files here (SolidWorks or Creo will do, if you don't have Inventor example).

Some one will show you the equivalent technique in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Here is file I am referring to. It has my derived "skeleton" file in it. I make a product that has 4+ parts in it, each using the skeleton's geometry and planes (a ring that I resize). Typically I would now "project geometry" from skeleton onto a plane and extrude, cut, chamfer etc... for a part. Then do same for the other parts that fit to it in an assembly.

Let me know if this is unclear.

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 7 of 40
JDMather

I do not see a plane or part face to project on to?

I do not see any geometry to cut?

Did you intend to attach another file?

I have SolidWorks, can you attach your SolidWorks example here?

Did you intend to attach an assembly here?

Are you familiar with Inventor Derived Components (works a bit differently in Inventor)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 40
Cadmanto

I get this error when trying to open the file in 2014.

What version is the file created in?  Weird that I can view it.

error.jpg

I even tried opening it up in Solidworks and it just freezes trying to process.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 40
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

Weird that I can view it.    

View what?  The bitmap Thumbnail preview?

iProperties indicates R2015 SP0

iProperties.PNG

Anything could be used for the Preview Picture

Preview Picture.PNG

Message 10 of 40
Cadmanto

Yes, the bitmap preview in windows explorer.

That would explain a lot why I can't open it.  I didn't think to look at the properties, because my experience has been when it is a newer version it indicates that in the error message.  I have no idea what the error message I posted and am getting means.  Do you have 2015?  I have it, just not loaded.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 40
JDMather

Yes, can only see the iProperties in latest release.

Message 12 of 40
Anonymous

Here are 2 Solidworks jpegs- extrusion process from sketch where geometry came from derived skeleton file. And, the assembly I eventually make with the assorted parts that share this skeleton file.

Also, I changed Inventor file to reflect Projected geometry necessary for this particular part. It is in "Body" sketch. Typically I would now start trimming away parts of projected geometry to create the extrudable sketch.

Thanks for your help trying to figure this out everyone.

Jeff

Message 13 of 40
Anonymous

Yes, Inventor 2015. Just downloaded it.
Message 14 of 40
Anonymous

Ah, very sorry. I forgot the all important skeleton file- necessary to open B1.ipt file.

Jeff

Message 15 of 40
JDMather

You can get screen captures far more easily by either of these two techniques

1. Hit Print Screen upper right corner of keyboard and then Ctrl V in MS Paint

or

2. Go to the Windows Globe in lower left corner of the screen and type Snipping and use the Windows Snipping tool.

I can't see your SWx browser.

In any case, I am not familiar with using either SolidWorks or Inventor as an image editor - I was expecting *.sldprt and *.sldasm files.

You can use one of three techniques -

1. Multi-body solids - the same as in SolidWorks

2. Derived Components - works a little differently than SolidWorks

3. Top-down in-context assembly modeling - the same as in SolidWorks.

Once you have attached your SWx files here - I can demonstrate all three master (skeletal) modeling techniques in Inventor.

Message 16 of 40
Cadmanto

Jeff,

Not sure what I am missing, but I am able to take your skeleton model and create geometry using the project geometry.

part.JPG

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 17 of 40
Anonymous

Cadmanto and everyone, thanks for trying with me on this one (wish we could be in the same room for 5 minutes and I suspect we'd solve this one quickly).

Instead of my particular case, let me ask instead- how would you do the following?

1. Make a circle with bisecting line on XY plane in a sketch and "finish sketch"
  2. Make a new sketch and project that same circle and line onto same XY plane.
  3. Trim circle in half at bisecting line.

My problem is- how do I have trimmable geometry from projected geometry? When I do example above the only modification functions that allow me to select geometry are "offset" and "mirror". What am I not doing right?

Jeff

Message 18 of 40
JDMather

Projected geometry is projected geometry - you don't trim it.

In general - trimming isn't needed as Inventor will let you select enclosed contours.

If you really want to trim it - RMB Break Link to the original or convert to Construction and sketch overtop the portion you need.

Message 19 of 40
CCarreiras

Hi!

Project the geometry and break the link.

You will have to apply some constrains to fully constrain the sketch.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 20 of 40
Cadmanto

Jeff,

I would imagine you would be correct that you could get an answer quickly if we were all in a room together.

JD is correct the the project geometry cannot be trimmed.  I can't remember if convert entities could be, but that might have been the root question to be asked in the beginning.  But like most threads, where they go often looks much different then where they end up.

Best of luck and hope you find the solution that works for you.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report