Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Constraint was placed on geometry which is no longer available"

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
deckart
5103 Views, 18 Replies

"Constraint was placed on geometry which is no longer available"

What geometry? Where? I'm working with a large assembly and I can't do anything without this error message. I deleted all the extra sub-assemblies that I had added and I still get this message. What do I do?
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
deckart
in reply to: deckart

Ok, so I delete everything down to a single subassembly. Same error. I open the subassembly seperately, it's fine. I create a new assembly file and plunk it in. It's fine. But the assembly I've spent 80 hours on has a problem with it! what gives? Expanded everything and no error bubbles anywhere! This is rediculous!
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous

I believe this can happen when you delete a fastener?
Don't know there is a cure though.
Search this group for previous post's.

--
Laurence,

Power is nothing without Control
---

"deckart" wrote in message
news:f16fbab.0@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Ok, so I delete everything down to a single subassembly. Same error. I
open the subassembly seperately, it's fine. I create a new assembly file and
plunk it in. It's fine. But the assembly I've spent 80 hours on has a
problem with it! what gives? Expanded everything and no error bubbles
anywhere! This is rediculous!
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

Doe it say on wat part the contraint is no longer available?
Or do you know when the error occured, you can delete that part or those
parts then, I've had the same problem myself ones and a collegue of mine
also. We deleted the last parts we added to find out where it went wrong,
it's a ***job but it's the only way otherwise you have to rebuild your whole
assembly.

Good luck,
Johnny

"Laurence Yeandle" wrote
in message news:26F5C68E9FCE47D0B78FD6868D0D1073@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I believe this can happen when you delete a fastener?
> Don't know there is a cure though.
> Search this group for previous post's.
>
> --
> Laurence,
>
> Power is nothing without Control
> ---
>
>
> "deckart" wrote in message
> news:f16fbab.0@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Ok, so I delete everything down to a single subassembly. Same error. I
> open the subassembly seperately, it's fine. I create a new assembly file
and
> plunk it in. It's fine. But the assembly I've spent 80 hours on has a
> problem with it! what gives? Expanded everything and no error bubbles
> anywhere! This is rediculous!
>
>
Message 5 of 19

Don't worry man it is just how it is. Inventor is the most ridiculously stupid CAD Design program that exists due to its dozens of unjustified errors and warning messages. I have exactly the same problem and there is no normal reason for this to happen. Inventor is a bad joke made by a follower company. I use Inventor because I am obligated, being a student, but 90% of all the engineers are using Solid Works or other programs.

Good luck with this crap Cat Very Happy

Message 6 of 19

@romeo_alex_ciontos wrote:

Don't worry man it is just how it is. Inventor is the most ridiculously stupid CAD Design program that exists due to its dozens of unjustified errors and warning messages. I have exactly the same problem and there is no normal reason for this to happen.....

Attach dataset that exhibits this "stupid" behavior.

The way you have described the general problem - I guess I am not too bright either, so I am not sure if I will be able to determine your particular problem - but I am willing to give it the old college try.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 19
riff62
in reply to: romeo_alex_ciontos

Way to resurrect an 11 YEAR old thread just to bash Inventor with your first post...
Message 8 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: riff62

Keep in mind that it is an inexperienced student. 

Give them a chance to respond in a calmer way once their frustration has subsided.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 19
riff62
in reply to: JDMather

Fair enough...I saw the last post that was responded to and figured it was
just another Inventor hater..I have seen stuff like this before, but yes,
you are correct..I should give them the benefitof the doubt before jumping
to conclusions..My appologies to you and the other poster..
Message 10 of 19

I had this same problem, and after fighting with it for a little bit I noticed an extremely simple solution. In the "Model" section of the Browser Bar there is a "Relationships" tab. Open it, and the problem relationship should have a yellow exclamation point next to it. Right-click the problem relationship and delete it (all of them if there are more than one). The operation you're trying to perform should work withuot a problem!

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but this was the first thing that came up when I Googled error message so I figured others having the same problem would find this thread like I did.

Message 11 of 19
swc132994
in reply to: csenge2

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I have a problem with this error also. Please see attached image.

I have also have attached a pack & go of the sub assembly, it is in 2015 format.

Message 12 of 19
cbenner
in reply to: swc132994

Not an explanation, but a workaround... not sure what's causing it because I don't so anything with sheet metal.

Use the edge of that flat face and the end face of the rod as your constraint, I got it to work that way.... not as elegant, but it worked.

Message 13 of 19
swc132994
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks for the reply, I have mated as you suggested and it will do the job.

The error baffles me though, I am sure there must be some issue with the sheet metal component. Is there a bug reporting thread where I can bring this up?

Thanks,

Steve

Message 14 of 19
cbenner

This thread may be enough as it is monitored, but you can also use this form:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

You can also put this into the idea station, maybe it's not so much a bug as a needed enhancement.

Include your screenshots and as much info as you can.

Message 15 of 19
ccamara01
in reply to: cbenner

It seems as though the "Cut Across Bend" option of "Cut2" is causing the problem.  If you deselect that, it will mate.  Although that doesn't maintain your design intent, and is again, a work-around.  This will cause the flush mate on the other rod to "error out", but you can just delete that mate, and redo it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Inventor Professional 2015 SP2
Windows 8.1 Pro Workstation
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 (10 core, 3.1 GHz)
NVIDIA Quadro K4200 (4 GB)
64 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC
512 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Message 16 of 19
swc132994
in reply to: ccamara01

Thanks for the feedback.

It is quite strange, I thought initially it was the cut so I redid the cut but still used cut across bend and received the same error.

I wonder what is do different with the cut across bend option.

Message 17 of 19
ccamara01

I don't know what else to think other than that it's a bug...

There was new functionality added to the sheet metal "Cut" in 2015, that being the "Cut Normal" option.  Perhaps they messed up some adjacent code in the process?  I don't pretend to understand how these issues come to be though.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Inventor Professional 2015 SP2
Windows 8.1 Pro Workstation
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 (10 core, 3.1 GHz)
NVIDIA Quadro K4200 (4 GB)
64 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC
512 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Message 18 of 19
Titanium69

Yes, I too am resurrecting an old thread. Simply because the title was what I was experiencing and I came here looking for answers. Didn't find but was encouraged to keep investigating. Now I have a solution to share.

I was attemting to put a cylinderical joint into an assembly, but kept getting the "geometry no longer exist..." error. If I put the two parts together by themselves in another assembly, no problem. So even though, the error was produced while trying to join these two parts, it had nothing to do with the two parts in question.

I finally decided to turn on "sick constraints" and found two "insert" constraints way on the other side of the assembly. They were an easy fix. After that, my cylinderical joint went in no problem.

Apparently, the slider joints and insert constraints share some deep rooted logic in the bowels of Inventor and everything gets verified before you are allowed to mix the two in an assembly.

So, you get an error message that in no way is related to your current operation......weird.

Allan

Inventor 2016

....still learning

Message 19 of 19
17dbird
in reply to: Titanium69

Thanks for this solution! Works fine for my assembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report