Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"CANNOT MODIFY THE LIBRARY FILE..."

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
489 Views, 5 Replies

"CANNOT MODIFY THE LIBRARY FILE..."

All of a sudden I get this message when I try to change the materials of any
part within my workspace folder. I looked at the project and everything
looks fine. I can save the file but cannot change or add anything now.
What is going on???
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dan_mayers
in reply to: Anonymous

Normally this would indicate that the part you are trying to modify is located in a directory that your project file thinks is a library. Can you post you project file so that we can take a look at it?

Dan
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Jay,

The part you are trying to modify or save is in a designated Library folder.
Please go to File->Projects->Libraries. Do you see the folder listed as a
Library folder?
Thanks!

Johnson Shiue
Test Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

"Jay Muchemore" wrote in message
news:4904962@discussion.autodesk.com...
All of a sudden I get this message when I try to change the materials of any
part within my workspace folder. I looked at the project and everything
looks fine. I can save the file but cannot change or add anything now.
What is going on???
Message 4 of 6
KSTOK

I have been struggling with this very problem the last two days reading through pages and pages of discussions on this issue and not one solution worked. By chance I remembered in Auto Cad that changing file paths in the options could really mess with something like plotting if the pen file was not where you were pointing cad to go look. 

for those of us that are coming from cad this is kind of similar just in a different spot. When you open a file there is the option to click on projects make sure you have the correct project folder location selected, once your in the project folder selection window click on a project. There are options below the list of projects to select, expand the libraries path.

Make sure the path is pointing to the library folder created for the project. Then make sure that you do not save any files to that location. Inventor will atomatically save parts you place in an assembly from the content center there, and as someone somewhere wrote you cannot edit inventor lib files.

Hope this helps

Message 5 of 6
ampster402
in reply to: KSTOK

if Jay is still around, I'm sure he'll enjoy seeing your answer almost 7 years later....

LOL

Message 6 of 6
KSTOK

Yeah I knowSmiley Happy I figured someone would fall upon the post the same way I did. Thanks Google

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report