Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about showing multiple model layers in drawing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gkmmartin
258 Views, 3 Replies

Question about showing multiple model layers in drawing

Been trying to show multiple layers/coatings in my drawing for several hours now, and finally defeated, I need to turn to you guys.

I have a revolved part that's made of multiple layers -- aluminum, for example, with an anodized coating and then a paint on top. I need to make a detailed drawing to show how thick each layer is, and to that end, created the part profile, added an offset rotation for layer 1 and then another offset rotation for layer two. They're thus symmetric and in full contact, but separate, distinct layers. No problem.

Turning this into a precise drawing, however, is a bit harder, since all of the layers render into one monolithic revolution. I need to show those layers distinctly, like in the png file attached. Is that possible? Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks,

Grant

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rdyson
in reply to: gkmmartin

Not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish but one possibiblity woud be to make eash revolve a different body.

Capture.PNG

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 4
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: gkmmartin

Another idea could be to create each layer as a seperate part and then making an assembly of each layer.  This will allow you to make a Presentation file.  Thereby allowing you to make a drawing which shows each layer "pulled apart" which may give a more pleasing look that easily seperates the layers that make up the end part.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 4 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

And another idea is to do both of the previous ideas-- make them separate bodies, then push them out to separate part files and assemble them in order to do the "pulled apart" view.

Doing an assembled drawing of aluminum with anodize and paint is going to be a challenge!  How thick is the anodized coating, and how thick is the paint relative to the aluminum substrate?  I guess a highly magnified partial section could show them all, but of course anodizing is not like painting where there's a clear boundary between layers.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report