Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qudaro k4000 & 4000 Graphics card for Inventor 2013?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jcox150
14622 Views, 4 Replies

Qudaro k4000 & 4000 Graphics card for Inventor 2013?

Before anyone gets angry that im asking a question about these cards please know that there are some 400 pages of threads to weed through in order to MAYBE find what im looking for. so.....

according to Autodesk cooperation page with NVIDIA the Quadro k4000 is recommended for Inventor while the Quadro 4000 is recommended for Showcase. My company just upgraded the design departments computers for Inventor 2013 with Dell Precision T3600, Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.2 & Quadro 4000.  We have had several processing/graphical problems so far..  Is there really a big difference between the 4000 & k4000?  I do know before updating the driver, the driver date was 10/6/2011 and the 4000 has a AutoCAD performance driver that is compatible with AutoCAD 2011 while the k4000 doesn't have that driver available. Is the 4000 suitable to run 2013 or is it the reason for our problems? I see a lot of conversations of people suggesting the GTX but our local Autodesk certified "partners" is who suggested this set up.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
4donwan4
in reply to: jcox150

The graphics card and its capability really comes into play when you pulling up files of large sizes, IDW’s with views of large assemblies, generating hidden and shaded views, etc. The better the card, the better the performance with video RAM. If your question was based off of part files, then I would say there would not be much of a difference. There are settings you can knock down in the application options, hardware tab. Lower the settings and see if it helps. I believe you know about the certification site but here’s a link anyway.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

If you have installed the certified driver for the card then I would suggest going out to the manufacturer’s website getting the latest and greatest and trying that. Try different Windows logins also if possible default local admin see if the video issues happen here? I’m not sure if this answers your question?

Regards,

Don

Message 3 of 5
eljoseppo
in reply to: jcox150

you wrote:

"according to Autodesk cooperation page with NVIDIA the Quadro k4000 is recommended for Inventor"

could you post direct link here. I could not find it.

Is there a some Inventor tests showing the difference between 4000 & K4000?

file_494193.jpg

I found this drawing here:

Tested K4000, K5000

Message 4 of 5
sam_m
in reply to: eljoseppo

be aware that the displayed benchmark isn't really valid for Inventor...

SPECviewperf is an OpenGL benchmark tool, so is valid for most CAD software (Solid Works, etc.) - notice how Inventor isn't on that graph...

Inventor moved from OpenGL to DirectX about 6 years ago (Inventor 11 i think, that's old 11 not 2011) and thus a DirectX benchmark tool is far more valid.   This table is of DirectX benchmarks:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Also, due to the move from OpenGL to DirectX the need/benefit of workstation cards drops, so a lot of us (if not the majority of long-term Inventor users on here) have moved to GeForce gaming cards.

While on the subject - certified drivers are also almost no longer a worry now we're on DirectX - start with the latest WHQL driver from Nvidia and only go back to an older release if there are problems.  This was explained by Autodesk at the time of the switch in this collection of posts:

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/78/442801/1/autodesk_inventor_opengl_to_dir...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 5
eljoseppo
in reply to: sam_m

since my last post I've done some reading but the closest to answer you get the more question you see.

Now I know that the Quadro is not what I'm looking for, but still I'm not sure of GeForce, because:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/gtx-660-anti-alias/td-p/3762852

What I fount about this toppic is the K400 is more powerful than 4000 and in the same time needs less energy due to Kepler core.

Also I've tested K600 and it's not much better that card I'm using wright now (HD 7470, low profile..).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report