Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quantities in Inventor .dwg parts list, Currently using 2010 soon 2013.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
cparnell
1536 Views, 13 Replies

Quantities in Inventor .dwg parts list, Currently using 2010 soon 2013.

I have had something come up that I am not sure how to handle. We purchase boxes of 12' trim that is entered into our ERP software by the FT. My Inventor iPart is set up to have a variable length and not to exceed (Range) of 12', however if I were to Place Component of 4 each 3 FT lengths into my model, my parts list shows 4 for quantity. If I Place Component of 1 each of 3 FT, 6 FT & 9 Ft the my Length collumn of my parts list would show varies.

The first instance should only account for 12 each or 12 - 1' sections which would meet my ERP needs, but my parts list shows 3 each for quantity. The second instance should account for 1.5 each or 18 - 1' sections which as well would meet my ERP needs, but my parts list shows 3 each for quantity.

What are the possible work arounds to handle this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mpatchus
in reply to: cparnell

Sounds like your BOM Base Quantity is set to EACH for the part instead of G_L.

Look at TOOLS\DOCUMENT SETTINGS\BILL OF MATERIALS to change the Base Quantity.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 14
rjezuit

But won't that cause all items to go from each to length? We have the same issue. Most parts are integer quantities of each, and others such as pipe are lengths. We are looking for a solution also.

Message 4 of 14
mmaes
in reply to: rjezuit

I am curious what ERP Software you use (We use Microsoft Dynamics GP).  I have a similar issue when tracking footage of steel used for manufatuered parts.

Message 5 of 14
mmaes
in reply to: mmaes

Just as a side note currently we override the QTY in the BOM from # of pieces to actual footage used manually.  So if we know the stock comes in 10' lengths and we see 120' in the BOM our purchasing dept knows to order 12 pieces.  We would like to get away from this and have the BOM show an actual total footage instead of manually figuring it out. 

Message 6 of 14
rjezuit

We end up doing manual BOM manipulation also, in both the ERP and Inventor. We stock pipe by the foot in our ERP system. When consume it in decimal length, for example 123.8 feet in the ERP BOM. Since we switched to 3D modeling software, and every piece gets modeled, we currently  use the base part number and length EX. FX3020-12.5. This would be a piece of 2" pipe 12.5" long. FX3020 would be a  length we buy the 2" pipe in. So in effect, we roll up the length manually, and put it on the ERP BOM in feet manually. It is far from optimal, but we have not been able to devise a better system yet.

Message 7 of 14
cparnell
in reply to: mpatchus

Mike:

It appears the only way to add G_L is to create a new User Parameter and then select that one from Document Settings/BOM tab/Base Quantity.

This did not seem to work. Am I doing something wrong?

Message 8 of 14
cparnell

mmaes:

I have heard that Microsoft Dynamics is one of two options and that Microsoft may be at the top of the list.

Message 9 of 14
mpatchus

Create a parameter called G_L and have your "extrusion" use the G_L parameter.

gl2.JPG

If you select the Xarrow button on Base Quantity it will take you directly to your parameters.

GL.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 10 of 14
cparnell
in reply to: mpatchus

mpatchus:

I just figured it out a few minutes ago.

I Created G_L as a User Parameter, (in) is my Units, (Length) is my equation. I then checked the Export Parameter box.

Thanks for the help. That did it.

Message 11 of 14
mmaes

So you now show total inches on your BOM with this method correct?  The only downfall is it doesn't take into consideration yeild on the 12' stock length.  IF your assembly calls for 4 nine foot pieces you will end up with 4 three foot pieces left over and your inventory will show 12' of material in stock when in fact you have 4 three foot cut off pieces in stock.  This is the part our company is struggling with in respect to keeping accurate inventory and purchasing correctly.

Message 12 of 14
BLHDrafting

ERP, and material stock lenghts and offcuts have always been a pain. From memory SAP Business One had a very handy materials length system that catered for offcuts being returned to stock and for length nesting. We don';t use it (or any other). Still have not found the best for our needs.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 13 of 14
cparnell

I set a single instance to show FT which how that paticular part is purchased, and yes it showed something like 5.62 FT in the QTY collum of my Parts List.

Another part that I need to make sure we do correctly is a part that comes in as EA but is 5000mm long.

Thanks for the help.

Message 14 of 14
mmaes

I guess I am not sure I am thinking the same as you, maybe your material you can splice together?  I am unsure what material you are working with. 

In my mind, if you had parts that were say 7 feet long (you said your stock size is 12 feet) and the assembly called for 12 of these 7 foot long pieces, that would equal 84 feet total.  So how does your purchasing software tell you "hey total feet is 84 but you still need to order 12 pieces because you can only get one 7 foot section out of each 12 foot piece"? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report