Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting in coordinate points?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Zomby Woof
355 Views, 3 Replies

Putting in coordinate points?

Is there a way to put in a series of points using their X,Y,Z coordinates? Someone asked me to place them in so they can see how a tube is bent for inspection. I don't have training in Inventor (just a lessons book). I have experience in CATIA V4 and some Pro E training. In CATIA I could do it in a few minutes. In Inventor I don't have a clue. I found some function for "work points" put it didn't allow me to put in the coordinates. CATIA allowed me to put them in 3D space and just run lines from "point to point".
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Zomby Woof

If you use the workpoint pullout (need to be in part editing mode, not assembly), you can insert a "grounded" work point, then select the origin point, then select the temp ball of the temp coordinate system and then enter the XYZ offset values individually and OK out of it to place a workpoint. This gets old VERy quickly if you have alot of points, so you have lots of points to enter, you might want to try my addin that reads XYZ's from an excel spreadsheet. You can get it at: http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1942 Bob S. P.S. You will need IV9 for the above addin. "Zomby Woof" wrote in message news:2071421.1109255737680.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Is there a way to put in a series of points using their X,Y,Z coordinates? Someone asked me to place them in so they can see how a > tube is bent for inspection. I don't have training in Inventor (just a lessons book). I have experience in CATIA V4 and some Pro E > training. In CATIA I could do it in a few minutes. In Inventor I don't have a clue. I found some function for "work points" put it > didn't allow me to put in the coordinates. CATIA allowed me to put them in 3D space and just run lines from "point to point".
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Zomby,
I would use Bob's add-in as he suggested. I just tried it out yesterday with a spreadsheet of over 700 points. Works like a charm.
Message 4 of 4
Zomby Woof

I'll have to try it out later. But I only had about 6 points. But that's a nice feature that you can bring it in from an Excel sread sheet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report