Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting a hole into a curved surface

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
wiggi
899 Views, 30 Replies

Putting a hole into a curved surface

Hi

I am new to inventor and I am trying to create one of my first components having had no lessons. I have managed to create the component for a camera stableiser for my A-Level project. I need to put a hole through the flat section on the curve in the middle about 20mm from the end on the bottom that goes all the way through the material for a bolt. I have watched lots of videos and webpages and have not worked out what i need to do. I have attached the file any help would be greatly appreciated.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
mdavis22569
in reply to: wiggi

Untitled.png

like this?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 31
LT.Rusty

First off, you're doing WAY too much work here.

While I understand that you're trying to do this entirely self-taught - and I really do understand this, as that's how I got started with Inventor as well - there's no crime in getting some basic tutorials.  Look for posts on here by JD Mather.  Go through the tutorials in his sig line.  They will REALLY help you out a lot with your basic modeling techniques.  I very much recommend doing this, and then going step by step through every single one of them.  (Granted, they're from an older version of Inventor, so things will look a little different, but the tools will still work pretty much the same way.)  

Second, you've got tons of extra sketches that are not obviously being used for anything.  Now I'm the first one to admit that I'm completely OCD when it comes to having clean geometry and no extra stuff laying around, but there is definitely a benefit - performance-wise - to minimizing the amount of extra sketches.

As far as where you want the actual hole ... can you put a scribble of some sort on the location where you want it?  I'm not quite positive where you're trying to make it ...

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: mdavis22569

wiggi,

How motivated are you to learn to do this correctly?

(I ask, because many students come here asking for help and the disappear in 2 or 3 days.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 31
wiggi

Thank you for your time this is very helpful but can i ask how you put the holes into the shape for future preference and I would also like to move the bottom hole closer to the bottom end if it is possible.
Message 6 of 31
wiggi
in reply to: JDMather

Hi i would say i am very motivated this is not my only priority at the moment as i have lots of work in other subject areas for my final exams. I am going on to do product design at university and would like to be capable of using CAD to a high standard and i also enjoy using it. The only problem is none of my teachers use it.
Message 7 of 31
mdavis22569

Download the part I uploaded ...if you click on the extrusion in the browser you'll be able to see what I did

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 31
mdavis22569

Is this what you wanted ... ALso there are some other issues that can be resolved on this to make it a lot easier as you learn ...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 9 of 31
wiggi
in reply to: LT.Rusty

okay thanks for the reply i will have a look at the tutorial as i will do anything i can to learn more. If you open the link and go to the left view and select the inside surface of the curve you can edit sketch, rotate the screen to the front and there is already a line going through. This is the best i can do in terms of a scribble.
Message 10 of 31
wiggi

This is helpful michael although i did just want one hole in the bottom and maybe closer to the bottom end. Also would it be possible to have the hole pointing towards the centre of the arc at an angle
Message 11 of 31
JDMather

The first step in starting any part is to select a logical location for the origin datum.

Second step is to look for features of symmetry in the design.

Start a new part file.

Sketch the arc with the centerpoint at the Origin Center Point.

Notice the angled lines have an Symmetry constraint to the horizontal line.

Notice that in the lower right corner of the screen that Inventor reports Fully Constrained.

Create this sketch as shown and attach your new file here.

Step1.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 12 of 31
mdavis22569

Wiggi, I'll help you do it , but not sure if I can do it for ya

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 13 of 31
JDMather

Where did you go?

EESignature

Message 14 of 31
wiggi

Sorry I had to go last night i am going to have a go this evening I will just create the 2d sketch as illustratured 

Message 15 of 31
wiggi

constructed the part as instructed but im no sure about the constraints

Message 16 of 31
wiggi

Feel free to do it for me but i would prefer to learn how and try to do it myself. Any help is appreciated.
Message 17 of 31
JDMather

Your method is different than the image I attached - but it will work if you,

add Vertical constraints to the vertical lines.

And add a coincident constraint between the left vertical line midpoint and the origin center point.

Once you get better at sketching Inventor will automatically add all of these constraints.

Add the constraints and post the file back here again.

Missing Constraints.PNG

When your sketch is fully constrained - it will change color and report in the lower right corner of the screen Fully Constrained.

EESignature

Message 18 of 31
wiggi

Thanks again mine matches the picture now although it does not say fully constraint im not sure if this is because i am using a different version (inventor pro 2014)

Message 19 of 31
JDMather

Did you attach the correct file (this doesn't look any different than the last attachment)?

The constraining has nothing to do with the version - this has not changed in the 12-13 years that I have been using Inventor.

EESignature

Message 20 of 31
wiggi

Sorry it may have been wrong file i will re-attach. There are no visual differences but if you open sketch it shows constraints

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report