Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Punch Tools don't update?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
t.bungard
468 Views, 8 Replies

Punch Tools don't update?

With all of the parametrics and auto updating, why is it that when I create a punch tool, place it in a part - discover a hole placement within the punch tool is incorrect -- fix it, the part which uses that tool doesn't update?

I have an ipart or table driven part that has about 35 versions to it. some use this punch tool some don't - by means of using the suppression feature in the table. Problem is, one of my customers called in with some installation issues due to tight fit. Now, I need to move 2 holes by 1/16th of an inch -- and the only way I see to do it is to delete the punch feature but not the hole center sketch -- go fix my punch tool, then re-insert the punch into the drawing. The problem is -- as soon as I do that, the settings for all 35 pieces goes away for that tool, and now I have to re-build that column for every part.

Did I not make the correct feature?
Or is this something that doesn't work with Inventor (yet)?

Thanks!!
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
glandreth
in reply to: t.bungard

Hi Troy,

Are you using the internal iPart table, or are you editing the table in Excel?

I ask because if editing in Excel, you shouldn't lose the column for feature compute / suppress when you delete the feature. You could then delete the punch feature (but not the hole center sketch) and then repunch the feature (be sure to name it the same as the previous feature) and your enable / disable column should work fine.

If you do lose the column in the Excel sheet when you delete the feature, you can always save a copy of the spreadsheet, make your changes to your model, and then paste the old copy over the new spreadsheet.

I think if you are using the internal iPart table, then there's no good way of doing this (plus it's really slow compared to Excel and you can't use all of Excel's functionality)

Good luck!

Glen
Message 3 of 9
t.bungard

Thanks Glen-

Yeah, I use the excel sheet for the now 40 different part numbers. The punch tool is a fixed cutout, I made to speed the process, some parts have it some don't. My problem was I made it, put it to use, now have to modify it, but it doesn't update -- once you place a punch tool, it's fixed, regardless of what you do to the punch tool definition.

I was hoping when I revised it, it would update the parts it was placed in. That didn't happen.
Message 4 of 9
glandreth

I'm not AutoDesk, but I'd imagine the reason it doesn't update is that you'd need to have a link to the .ide file in the part, and that's just one thing to manage. Especially considering that the punch library is shared amongst all projects, so is typically outside the project path, and so would need to have a hard-coded location rather than a dynamic path to the .ide file.

Anyhow, hopefully the couple of Excel tricks will let you replace the feature withouth losing the compute / suppress functionality you've already created.

Glen
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

iFeatures are not updated to match changes in the IDE. Once they are
put in a model, they become part of the model and don't know about the
template IDE. Adding linked behavior is on the wish list, if I am not
mistaken.

Alpha3Troy wrote:

>With all of the parametrics and auto updating, why is it that when I create a punch tool, place it in a part - discover a hole placement within the punch tool is incorrect -- fix it, the part which uses that tool doesn't update?
>
>I have an ipart or table driven part that has about 35 versions to it. some use this punch tool some don't - by means of using the suppression feature in the table. Problem is, one of my customers called in with some installation issues due to tight fit. Now, I need to move 2 holes by 1/16th of an inch -- and the only way I see to do it is to delete the punch feature but not the hole center sketch -- go fix my punch tool, then re-insert the punch into the drawing. The problem is -- as soon as I do that, the settings for all 35 pieces goes away for that tool, and now I have to re-build that column for every part.
>
>Did I not make the correct feature?
>Or is this something that doesn't work with Inventor (yet)?
>
>Thanks!!
>
>
Message 6 of 9
AndyWallace
in reply to: Anonymous

Can someone point me to Autodesk documentation which spells this out? I went to the trouble of creating and vaulting a punch tool to save time, then (like the author here) found the updated punch dimensions didn't carry over. What a shame!

I also see that going back into the .ipt, and trying to reselect the punch iFeature, you can't just browse to the updated .ide and rebuild. It looks like you have to delete the ifeature and start over.

Since I know I've dimensioned other modeling features based on this iFeature, later in the part, I'd love to know what the parent/child relationship is. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

So in trying to save myself work, I've caused work, because Inventor doesn't keep a link between an iFeature and the parts which uses it.

Time to delete and do a series of counterbores instead. If I have time I guess I should post an IdeaStation message!

Andy

Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)
Message 7 of 9
mrattray
in reply to: AndyWallace

If you build your punch feature correctly, the parameters that control the feature will be available in the part (i.e. hole diameters). However, for major geometry changes you're out of luck. This corresponds to the intended functionality of punch features (and iFeatures), they're meant for adding standardized features like a clearance cut out for a d-sub connector.
If you do make an idea station post, or find one already posted, link it here.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 9
AndyWallace
in reply to: mrattray

My punch creates a four step counterbore. The punch was built such that all it needed was center point and plane. I made it that way because this was for a specific RF feedthrough part and the bore diameters and depths should not be user-modified on iFeature insertion.

I don't see any way to edit anything in my part - can you show an example, Mike?

It looks like all I can do is delete the iFeature. If RMB on the ifeature allowed me to re-browse to the source .ide, all would be well. But the [...] is greyed out and not an option once the iFeature is created.

Andy

Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)
Message 9 of 9
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

If I am not mistaken if the part you made the punch tool and the ide are in Content Center it would update in all locations after change..

I have not tested but it is what I was told by an Autodesk Employee..

Been wanting to test for a year now but keep forgetting..

But this really needs improvement...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report