Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

punch tool cuases Inventor 2013 to shutdown

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tborland
423 Views, 6 Replies

punch tool cuases Inventor 2013 to shutdown

Any ideas why the Punch i created causes the following? 

1. The punch will not work with part 1.I have 4 points for the Punch on part-1

2. When attempting to get the 4 punch holes on to the flat sheet it causes inventor to shutdown.I have done 4 attempts to fit the punch into the flat sheet (part-1) and 4 times it has shutdown Inventor

Thanks

Tony

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: tborland

You're not by chance a SolidWorks user, are you? It looks like you're setting your punches up like you're in SolidWorks.

Inventor wants an ide file for the punch tool, not an ipt.

With your punch0 file open go to the manage tab and click "extract iFeature". This will allow you to create the ide file which you will then use to do your punching with.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 7
tborland

AAHH....silly me i forgot to send the punch as well.I had the Punch made already which was causing me grief.but i forgot to send with other 2 files.

Here is the Punch

Thanks mrattray

Tborland 

Message 4 of 7
mrattray

My IV crashed when I tried to insert it, too.

So I did some digging and discovered that you drew this feature on a 1mm thick sheet and the part you are punching is 2mm thick. Normally this is ok, but the way that you drew the feature causes it to fail when applied to the thick sheet.

I applied your punch to a new part that I made that was 2mm thick. IV did not crash but instead gave an error message about one of the chamfers in the iFeature failing.

I changed the thickness of part1 to 1mm and it worked fine. Try redrawing your iFeature geometry to be more "parametric" then it is so that it will work with different thicknesses. I suggest using a single revolve feature for this, anyways. Ditch all these fillets and chamfers and extrusions.

capture.jpg

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 7
tborland
in reply to: mrattray

thanks mrattray

Thanks for the help of punch

If you have time could you do up the part with the geometry being "parametric"  so that it will work with different thicknesses. I suggest using a single revolve feature.I could then study the technique so as i get better understanding of ifeature for punches.I want to make different punches

Cheers

TBorland

Message 6 of 7
tborland

I had another attempt with your suggestions.I used a revolve feature but it will not save as a Sheet Metal Punch iFeature.What do i need to change to get this part to save as a Punch .ide

Regards

Tony

Message 7 of 7
tborland

bump??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report