Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

punch feature

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Zac-C
2038 Views, 27 Replies

punch feature

Created my first punch....there is a couple of issues i need help with please

1. When i place the punch onto  a sheet metal metal part face it places the punch upside down

2. When i place the punch onto  a sheet metal metal part face it is placed at a 90 degree angle

What do i need to change so that it places the punch/s on top of the face and also flat on the face.....

Thank you

Inv-2013

IJC

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
Zac-C
in reply to: Zac-C

JD

What is your thoughts on the punch attached in post#20

Have you the table for various sizes

Thanks again

Message 22 of 28
wklarich
in reply to: JDMather

I have tried to follow the instructions for making a punch tool on the 2/21/14 post by JDMather (attached), but without success.  When I try to extract the feature, I select the cut and the revolve features, but the save button never becomes active.  I can make a punch tool to punch a simple hole in sheet metal, but I have a long list of failed tries for a tool to form the metal.  My ipt file and a screen shot of the extract feature window are attached.  I will greatly appreciate any help.

Message 23 of 28
johnsonshiue
in reply to: wklarich

Hi! I think know where the problem is. The Sketch4 has quite a few local dependencies. First, the horizontal and vertical constraints can be problematic. This is because the sketch coordinate in the new part may not be oriented the same way as the source part. It is better to use colinear, parallel, and perpendicular constraints. The projected origin point needs to be removed. Please take a look at attached file and its extracted punchtool. I am able to insert the punch to a new part without a problem.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 24 of 28
wklarich
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Thank you for your help.  Your ide file works great, but I still can't make one.  The Trial Punch 2.ipt file that was attached to your reply looked a lot like mine.  It had horizontal and vertical constraints.  However, I did replace all horizontal and vertical constraints with parallel and perpendicular constraints in sketch 4.  I wasn't sure what the projected origin point is.  I did find a point in sketch 4 that was on the top surface of the sheet metal .1265 from the centerline of the hole, and deleted it.  When I tried to extract the iFeature, I still couldn't get a live save button.

When I try to extract, I check the circle for sheet metal punch feature, choose the cut first and then choose the revolution.  I believe that's all that is required, but I have also added the hole diameter as a size parameter, added a punch ID and tried various custom depths. 

I have attached my ipt file with the changes so far.  If the point I deleted wasn't the projected origin point, please help me identify it, and let me know what else is wrong with the sketch or my extraction method.  I appreciate that you have taken the time to try to direct a slow learner.

Bill Klarich

Message 25 of 28
johnsonshiue

Hi! I see the problem now. You only pick Cut1 and Revolution2. That is not enough to create a good punch tool. It is because a punch tool needs to have a sketch point as an insertion point. Try this. Extract iFeature -> Sheet Metal Punchtool -> pick Sketch2, Work Plane1, Cut1, and Revolution2. You will see the punchtool relys only on a sketch as a source. You should be able to get a good punchtool. Let me now if it works for you,

Another tip you may find handy. Aside from avoiding local dependency, you can start another sheet metal part side-by-side. While you are creating the punchtool source part, you can select the source features -> right-click -> Copy -> switch to the other part -> paste it. This is like a debug tool to test if the source features are Ok to be  extracted. In this way, you don't have to go through extraction and insertion process. You can iterate and experiment with different geometry fairly quickly.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 26 of 28
wklarich

Many thanks to you Johnson.  I was able to make that punch tool and fix some of my other attempts.  They were all practice, but they work.

Can you suggest any place to find directions for non symmetrical punches?

Again, thank you for your help.

Bill Klarich

Message 27 of 28
johnsonshiue

Hi Bill,

Could you give me some visual clue about asymmetric punch tool? I should be able to find a workflow to create it. Or, I can tell you if it is not possible.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 28 of 28
wklarich

I don't have anything specific punch tools in mind at present.  More than symmetry, I was concerned about tools that would take more than one feature beyond the cut.  I was able to make an oblong punch tool that took two  revolves and an extrude - it has symmetry about one plane.  However, with care the additional features could be extracted.  Thank you again for your help.  If you don't mind, I will be back again when I get stumped.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report