Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish to showcase fails bacause of one part.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
BrotherkennyhDWR
752 Views, 9 Replies

Publish to showcase fails bacause of one part.

Hi,

I have been trying to publish some of my assemblies into showcase. Showcase gives me the message that one or more files could not be Imported. The Import status window indicates that the part failed to load, but other than that I don't get any information.

I have tried a number of different settings, but still no luck.

I have tried exporting the file to a neutral CAD format and it does load into showcase no problem then, but this seems like an annoying work around if I am going to have to do it for almost every assembly we use.

I have attached one of the files that does not load into showcase.

Has anyone got any insight into what might be wrong with this file?

Cheers

Kenny

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
-niels-
in reply to: BrotherkennyhDWR

If you set the EoP (end of part) marker to below Extrusion38 (or workplane17) and then delete everything below the EoP it will transfer to showcase.
If you don't delete the rest, it will not.

I'm not sure what's causing this, but, for me, the workflow in this model is absolutely horrifying...
Sheetmetal that starts with and extrusion, then bends, mirrors of features followed by fillets that are then mirrored again on the previously mirrored features...

The result might look fine, but i'd hate to make any kind of revision to a model like this...

The neutral files probably work better because you lose that immense feature tree.

If you have the time, try remodelling the part with less features and more logic and see if showcase will take it then.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 10
BrotherkennyhDWR
in reply to: -niels-

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I appreciate the model is pretty untidy, but can't justify spending the time remodelling it just for a showcase import. The part is used in a few complex assemblies so I would need to replace it in those as well.

I can't see why the part being untidy should stop it importing into showcase. Has anyone lse had this issue in the past and been able to overcome it without remodeling? I would really like to know what went wrong and what specifically is causing the import to fail.

How does the feature tree affect the showcase import?

Cheers

Kenny

Message 4 of 10
-niels-

I did give you the point where showcase is still able to import the model.

It's probably not the feature tree itself, but the way some features are created.
The strange thing i noticed while figuring out the working import point was, that if i set the EoP above that feature (even at the very top with just the first extrusion active) it wouldn't import into showcase unless i deleted everything below the EoP.

Reading back, i got a bit sidetracked by the untidiness because it makes it so much harder to find that point of working import. (my apologies for that.)

If anything, there's probably something in the features directly after that Workplane17 that create some geometry that showcase fails on.

Since you have the better knowledge on how it's built and what needs to be where, could you try removing or recreating those features directly after that workplane?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 10
JDMather

This is a wild shot-in-the-dark, but try Tools>Document Settings>Modeling...  ...I have no idea what this does, but it looked relevant.

Graphics Details.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
-niels-
in reply to: JDMather

I gave that a try, but it didn't seem to matter to showcase.

It's really strange...
If you make a step file out of his part and import that as a base feature, it goes to showcase.
If you derive his part into a new ipt it also goes to showcase without problems.

Kenny, it might be worth opening a support ticket with Autodesk so they can investigate what's going on, because it doesn't seem geometry related.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 10
BrotherkennyhDWR

niels,

I tried deleting the extrusion you identified and all the sketches/features that are broken by deleting it. At this point the model will import into showcase, but so much of the model is removed I am again pretty much remodeling it.

A good point you make about thhe derived part. I can't imagine why this works. Having the part in a assembly prevents the assembly from being imported into showcase.

JDMather,

I also tried those settings, with no luck.

I will open a support ticket with Autodesk, thanks for the help so far.

Regards

Kenny

Message 8 of 10

I too have a terrible time importing assemblies into Showcase. I don't have any influence over how the assemblies are created and truthfully, some of them are full of "problems". They open fine in Inventor (after you tell Inventor to IGNORE things). They perform their function here fine.

I end up taking them into Showcase by way of NavisWorks.

I have also found that if I do a SAVE AS and save the assembly to my own directory and then gut whatever can't be seen I've had much better luck.

All that said, the import diagnostics of Showcase leave a lot to be desired. You have a process that runs for an hour and then tells you nothing other than it failed.

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 9 of 10
-niels-

Let us know how it turns out, i'm pretty curious what's the cause of this.

Hope it gets resolved.
Regards,

Niels

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 10 of 10
john.campbell

The presence of extrusions at the assembly level in Inventor will cause a failed export to 3DS Max; delete the extrusions or move them to the part level and the export ("Suite Workflow") goes off with out a hitch. Same with Showcase in my experience. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report