Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompted Entry + Label

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cadcamm99
473 Views, 6 Replies

Prompted Entry + Label

I am using Inventor 2012.  I want to put a label with a prompted entry.  So I did this,

SCALE: <scale>

However, when filling out the symbol it only puts in the scale without the label.  The reason I am doing this is because my text is right justified and I need the label to move with the text.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: cadcamm99

Just curious because I am likely missing something here, are you talking about a view label? Why is the scale prompted entry? Is there a reason you aren't using the scale property?
Inventor Professional
Message 3 of 7
cadcamm99
in reply to: jeanchile

Sorry, I am trying to create a user symbol and I want to put prompted text in the symbol with a label because the text is right justified.  I basically want the label to move with the prompted text.

Message 4 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: cadcamm99

Hmmmmm.... the only way I know to accomplish this would be to type the label in with the prompted entry text each time. I realize this is not a solution it's just the only way I know to accomplish the text moving.

Is there a way to establish the length of text for the longest entry you need and just place the label text far enough away to handle all of the different entries? This might make a large gap at the smallest entry though.

There are a lot of really smart people on this forum, someone else might have a more elegant solution.

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 7
SBix26

All that's needed is to have two separate text fields in your sketched symbols, one for the label and one for the prompted entry.  We use a sketched symbol that does exactly what you're asking.  You might want to use constraints and dimensions in your sketched symbol to align the two text fields precisely.

Message 6 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: SBix26

I couldn't get this to work in my tests. If the text entered was longer than the established text box it just wrapped it, not extend the box. How did you constrain them together so that the text box size changed with the longer text? I couldn't get it to work.

Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 7
SBix26

Sorry, jeanchile, I was relying too much on memory, didn't re-read the whole thread carefully.  Our sketch symbol has two fixed-size text fields, so it does not need to adjust based on prompted text.  This seems to be impossible in the current version for the reasons you stated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report