Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROMPTED ENTRY COPY

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
anderson51
1002 Views, 14 Replies

PROMPTED ENTRY COPY

Is there a way to setup prompted entry data in a say a title block to automatically "copy" over to new sheets upon creation, instead of having to refill them out each and every time you make a new sheet?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mdavis22569
in reply to: anderson51

there are various ways to get them filled ...but you might be better of doing it with custom iproperties ....

then you can populate them via Vault, Design Assistant and even Windows Explorer.   I had a set of over 100 idw's and I populated them all via RMB and windows explorer.

here is an example of howe we do it:

title.png

You can make it a prompted entry if need this way too

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
anderson51
in reply to: mdavis22569

I dont mind the prompted entry way, I actually like it better than filling out data with I Props. I guess my wish was that when I fill out my Title Block on Sheet 1 with data that will not change like Job Number, Customer Name, Ect...I would be nice if you could just copy Sheet 1 and create Sheet 2 from it within the same .idw, and have that info already there without having to fill it out again with prompts. Not sure if that makes sense or not?

Message 4 of 15
mdavis22569

Mine transfers over to each page ... If there are 4 pages ..then all 4 would be the same minus the page number

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
anderson51

Are you using Prompted Entry or I Props?

Pic 1: Maybe I am setting it up wrong somehow, here is what I have as formatted text.

Pic 2: Shows that it allows to copy the Sheet, but not paste?

Pic 3: Is how I create additional sheets within the .idw, but I get prompted to fill out my title block each time, even though I already did it for sheet 1

How are you getting the Data to transfer over to each new sheet?

Message 6 of 15
GSE_Dan_A

I was a 'prompted entry' guy too! Until I was shown how to make forms and use iProps.  The reason why I stopped using Prompted Entry was due to the very same problem you are facing.  I constantly had to re-enter information when creating a new sheet.  Now I only use PE for things that change from sheet to sheet (Drawing Title, Drawing Number, etc...)  Now when I create a new drawing from scratch, a form will pop open and I enter any info that will not change from sheet to sheet (Job Title, Number, Client Name, etc...).  This is especially nice for sheets that have information shown in multiple locations. For example, most of our Certification drawings we create call out information on multiple places in our drawings, by creating an iProperty and placing that text wherever I need it, I can rest assure knowing that when I enter information into my form (say Tool ID Number), I know that each spot that has that iProperty will be filled in correctly.  Thereby, eliminating the possibility of me forgetting to enter it in or if something changes, I can update all the changes with one simple correction.

iProp Form.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 7 of 15
mrattray

Use iProps.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 15
anderson51
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Perfect!.....but you forgot to teach me how to setup up said "Form"! 🙂

Ryan Anderson
Project Designer
Moeller Engineering, LLC
109 NW 9th St. Suite 1
Ankeny, IA 50023
515-963-8332 office
www.moellerengineering.com

[ME 295_425-01 half (3)]
Message 9 of 15
mrattray

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 15
GSE_Dan_A

It is very simple! Heck if I can do it, anyone can! I was shown through help on these forums.

Here is the link to get your form to open up when startings a new drawing...
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Opening-a-Form-when-New-Drawing-Created/m-p/3923571/h...

Create iProperties First:

1. Go into your drawing template BEFORE creating your form.
  2. Rright click in Model Browser and select 'iProperties'
  3. Go to Custom Tab and there you can enter in iProperties that will become part of your form.  Note that you can NOT places spaces in the name of your iProperty, you must use underscore as a space.
  4. Once you have your iProperties created you can proceed to Create Form.

Create Form:

1. Navigate to the iLogic Tab and select 'Add Form'
  2. Give it a name and then the fun begins.
  3. From here it is a matter of trying different tings and setting up the form that suits your needs.  Tabs, Groups, Sub-Groups.  Try different things to see what result you get.  You get a preview of your form off to the side.
  4. To use your newly created iProp, you need to go to the iProperties tab and then scrolll down to the bottom to find the Custom ones.  Then It is just a matter of dragging and dropping.
  5. You can edit the Label of your iProperty name and even give it a 'Tooltip'!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 11 of 15
mdavis22569
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

I like the Iprop vs Ilogic ...because I can populate it from the Vault, Design Assistant and windows Explorer.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
mrattray

@michaeldavis7418 wrote:
I like the Iprop vs Ilogic ...because I can populate it from the Vault, Design Assistant and windows Explorer.

You can still use those methods to populate the iProps when you have an iLogic form, the form is just an additional pretty, user friendly, customizable method for property entry. You're still using iProps either way.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 15
mdavis22569
in reply to: mrattray

hmmm so from Windows Explorer I can RMB and get the Iproperties,Ilogic and run it from there without being in Inventor?

I literally will do an entire project from my Windows Explorer ... 50 drawings on average ..with a 1 time populate ...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
mrattray

No, you can't run the ilogic from outside Inventor, but adding an iLogic form will not interfere with your usual iProperty work flow whether inside or outside of Inventor.
So, basically, you CAN have your iProperties and iLogic it, too!
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 15
mdavis22569
in reply to: mrattray

Gotcha ... 

I'm going to play with this weekend 

Thanks for the info

Mike

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report