Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projects Best Practices

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
howardlee306
1243 Views, 4 Replies

Projects Best Practices

Hello All,

We have been using a single project placed in the top folder where are drawings are stored with no workspace assigned and we do not use Vault currently. Meaning 1 project with 500 jobs under it. We started using Inventor many, many years ago and our industry grew very fast making learning better ways always get put aside to get the jobs done. Now we have a moment to breath and want to get things taken care of. Up until Inventor 2012 this never really gave us a problem. In 2012 we found a work around, but in 2013 I get constant errors about files not being in the active project especially since we have started using the Routed Systems module.

Obviously I want those to go away and one way I'm concidering doing that is to start creating one project file for each job in the job's folder with the workspace pointed to that folder. I've done some testing and it works pretty good with no errors.

Now, It's not uncommon for me to be working on 5+ jobs at a time and we also work very close with our fabricators meaning at any given time someone could walk thrugh the door and ask a question about a job I worked on 6 months ago. If I can only have one project open at a time, what is the best practice for not having to shut down what I'm working on to verify a dimension or something?

We have enough horsepower in our computers to run 3 instances of Inventor which I have tested and can have different projects going if needs be, but can be a little "buggy" with some files already being accessed by the first instance.

I'm curious how others may handle a situation like this. Or have some more experience with projects and can offer some advice. We also are going to pay Autodesk to come in for a couple days and look at our setup as well as teach us some things. I know we need a new dedicated sever moving forward. "Does anyone know of any higher function" books I could get? I know how to draw a square and the user interface, I want to know iLogic, Projects, Vault implementation, etc.

Thanks for reading I know it's a long post,

Ray

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: howardlee306

You might start research by looking for past classes on these topics here

http://au.autodesk.com

What is the folder structure under you Single Project workflow?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
howardlee306
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD, I'll check out the University and see if there is anything in our area coming up.

Folder Structer is:

Company Server

-Engineering Partition

-Jobs Folder (old project file location)

-Job001

-Inventor Files Folder (New proposed project file location and workspace)

-Engine Folder (holds iam of engine and engine parts)

-Steel Folder (holds Structure iam's and beam ipt's)

-Pipe (routed systems and misc pipe components, valves)

-MainArrangement.iam

-Project file .ipj

-Other Folder (CAd Stuff)

-Other Folder (customer specs)

-Job002

-Job003

-etc

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: howardlee306

I meant on-line classes

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=classes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
howardlee306
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks, I noticed that after I went to the site and had a look around. I just signed up on the site and am looking at the past ones right now. Lot of information there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report