Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projecting Line Problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
SMPConsulting
379 Views, 4 Replies

Projecting Line Problem

Hi All,

I'm modelling liner plates on a conveyor chute and I want the liners and the fixing bolts to align on between the walls which are different. angles.

I've modelled the liners on the first wall how I want them and now want to project lines from the top and bottom of the liner plates as well as the centres of the bolt holes on this wall to the adjacent wall.

I cant seem to get the lines to project onto the adjacant wall at the same level.

I've been ripping my hair out for hours now and tried everything but can't seem to get it. I know it should be simple but I'm hoping someone could be so kind as show me how to do it.

I've posted two images of the model that hopefully illustrate the problem. I would love to put a zipped folder of the model up to which is under 3MB in size but I keep getting an error message saying the size of the attachment is too large and that the maximum size is 1,572,864 bytes.  What am I doing wrong there too?

Anthony Paul
www.smpconsulting.com.au
An Inventor user since IV6 2002, and a 3D AutoCad user since R9 1989

i7 7770 @ 3.6GHz – 4.2, GB H110M M.2 Mainboard, 2 x 8 GB DDR4 RAM
250 GB SSD 960 Evo Series SSD, 700 W 80+ ATX Power Supply, Win 10 Home 64 Bit
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: SMPConsulting

You can reduce file size by -

open part(s) and drag the red End of Part markers to the top of the browser hiding all features.
Save the part(s) with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file(s) or folder containing the files and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

If individual file zips or folder zip is still too large - the file size limit is larger over here http://www.augi.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5

Hi Guys,

Still stuggling with this one.

I've added another image to hopefully illustrate exactly what I'm trying to do.

It's actually quite a simple drafting and geomtry exersice in projecting lines onto another plane and after all these years of using IV you'd think I'd know how to do this.

Just a question why wont the "project cut edges" comand work on sketch lines. The "roject geometry" does but because I'm trying to project lines at the same plane as geometry on another plane it isn't the solution I'm lookig for.

Is there a solution or teqnique that someone can offer because I'm desperate.

Anthony Paul
www.smpconsulting.com.au

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: SMPConsulting

@quadratec wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm desperate.

Roll up the EOPs and attach files here.

It looks like the solution might be to create Workpoint (not in sketch) by selecting Workpoint then line and the plane.  This will create a workpoint(s) where they intersect.  You can then Project Geometry these Workpoints as sketchpoints in a sketch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
SMPConsulting
in reply to: JDMather

HI JD,

I don't quite understand what you are explaining so I posted the model over at AUGI here:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?150043-Projecting-line-problem

I tried to follow your instruction but still couldn't work it out.

Will really appreciate any help as I know from a pure drafting perspective it is a very basic skill and that is why I'm certain it can be done.

Anthony Paul
www.smpconsulting.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report