Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projecting Geometry for a Loft

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
dromani00
1169 Views, 19 Replies

Projecting Geometry for a Loft

Good day.

I'm having some difficulty with getting a loft to turn out correctly. In the following figure, I've created the loft with two profiles and the yellow highlighted rail.

Loft TopSurface - Top Loft Rail and Mating Surface.jpg

It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for until the loft is examined from below; I've highlighted the loft bottom surface and the mating surface. You can see the discontinuity easily. I'm trying for a smooth intercept so it looks like I need to specify a bottom gide rail as well as the upper one.

Loft Bottom Surface and Mating Surface.jpg

I've created a sloped plane and 2D sketch for the bottom rail, but when I project the upper rail geometry onto the sloped 2D sketch, it projects perpendicular to the sketch/work plane instead of perpendicular to the original projected geometry.

Projected Curve.jpg

Is there a way to tell Inventor 2014 to change the projection from perpendicular to the sketch/work plane to the perpendicular of the geometry being projected?

I've attached the part for your consideration.

Thank you.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: dromani00

Don't know if this is what you want to do, but if so, it can't be done in Inventor at this time. I think I remember seeing a wishlist item about this very thing on the Inventor Idea Station.

Curve Projection.jpg

Message 3 of 20
JDMather

The rail is a simple 3D intersection curve of two 2-D sketches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 20
dromani00
in reply to: Anonymous

The distortion would be what I'm after actually: An arc projected onto a slanted plane. In this example, project the top rail (Highlighted in yellow in my original message.) straight down onto the slanted sketch plane.

Message 5 of 20
dromani00
in reply to: JDMather

This may be true, but your response does nothing to explain the how to do that projection.

A bit more verbiage on the how, would be appreciated.

Message 6 of 20
JDMather

I suspect you don't really want this line horizontal as you have sketched it, but take a look at the attached file and is it something close to what you are after?

Horizontal.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 20
dromani00

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect you don't really want this line horizontal as you have sketched it, but take a look at the attached file and is it something close to what you are after?

You are quite right, I saw that after I'd already posted the original message. After the head slap I gave myself, I corrected it to follow the original arc.

Also, the ZIP file containes an .stp file type which identifies as a 3dsMax file. While I have 3dsMax, it doesn't like this file. It's also only 47K in size. Did this get saved to an incorrect file type?

Message 8 of 20
JDMather

STEP (*.stp) is a commonly used neutral format CAD file that can be read be most any CAD program.

Simply right click on the *.zip file and select Extract All.

Then in Inventor set to Open files of type STEP (*.stp) and open the file directly in Inventor.

If this geometry is close to what you are after - I can spend more time on a correct solution.

Message 9 of 20
dromani00

Thank you. Yes, I see the result, and it is what I'm looking for, but I do not see how you did it.

Can you please explain what you did?

Message 10 of 20
JDMather

I did a little more work - anticipating your end goal.

Is this where you are heading (see attached file)?

Message 11 of 20
dromani00

Yes, that's where I'm heading, but I still have no insight into how you went about it.

Can you please explain?

Thank you.

Message 12 of 20
JDMather

I have never modeled a part using the techniques that you use - so it will be this weekend till I have a chance to clean up my model enough to post on a public website.

Message 13 of 20
dromani00

While you have provided the solution, it's not what I'm looking for. I need the how. How did you generate the corner curve correctly.

Providing the solution, doesn't help. I need an explination of the method used.

THank you.

Message 14 of 20
dromani00

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never modeled a part using the techniques that you use - so it will be this weekend till I have a chance to clean up my model enough to post on a public website.

Humm... Well, then that begs the question: How did you do it? If it's more efficient, I'm all for it.

Thank you.

Message 15 of 20
JDMather

I just need to recreate from scratch solution and then I will post the file with history tree.

Check back in a bit.

Message 16 of 20
JDMather

I spent 8 yrs out on the shop floor - so I tend to think in net shape or near net shape - Design for Manufacturability.  How am I going to make this thing, or the tooling to make this thing?

Given that mindset - my solution might not match what you are after as I was really confused by the dimensions (I am used to seeing simple numbers, I even tried changing to mm to see if they would make sense to me ) - but in any case, atttached is my "solution".

I added a fillet that wasn't in your part.  It can be removed with a Ctrl Click on the edge.

Added Fillet.png

Message 17 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! I took a quick look at the part to get the sense of design intent. If seems like you are trying to replicate geometry from another part. If I were you, I would remove those fillet faces first (Delete Face -> Heal). In that way, you can deal with simpler profile and worry about rounds later.

Do you want to make a flat pattern from the part? If yes, I don't think the finished part would be unfoldable in Inventor right now.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 20
JDMather

Have you been able to figure out a solution to your problem?

Message 19 of 20
dromani00

Not really, no. While I do appreciate the work you did, I have no idea how you got there. So while it is a solution, without an explanation, I can do nothing with it, nor repeat it in the future.

Thank you.

Message 20 of 20
JDMather

The entire story of how I got to the geometry I posted is in the feature tree.

That is the real power of parametric modeling - the history is preserved for study.

That is basically how I learned Inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report