Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

projected geometry dose not update upon change

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
kmeldfreyssinet
9063 Views, 26 Replies

projected geometry dose not update upon change

Hi,

I am struggling with projected geometry that is for some reason not updating in sketch when I change sorce element.

I have sketch in ipt file A.ipt

A.ipt is placed in A1.iam.

in A1.iam I create or place B.ipt

in B.ipt I create sketch and project some elements of A.ipt sketch to it.

After any change i sketch in A.ipt file I and up with elements projected to sketch in B.ipt not muchning elements they ware projected from.

I tried I think everything, adaptivity, creating additional points i A1.iam (they update properly but still projection is not updating).

What is wrong?

Regards,

Cris

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
stevec781
in reply to: VeeGee

But two years ago the statement that I wrote was correct. Perhaps you should check dates and get your facts straight before you climb up on your high horse.

Message 22 of 27
johnsonshiue
in reply to: stevec781

Hi! Indeed, cross-part project cut edges is still unassociative (grounded). If all cut-across parts are referencing different definitions, in theory, associative cross-part project cut edges should be doable. However, there is a behavioral issue here, because when a part is edited in place, doing cross-part project cut edges could lead to a cycle (Part1:1 projecting cut edges of Part1:2, the same definition). When the user selects an occurrence of the same part, should Inventor make the projected cut edges grounded or reject the selection? Neither seems intuitive to me personally.

I am not saying the current unassociative behavior is perfect but at least it provides some geometry than none.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 23 of 27

I love the ability to Convert Entities/Project Geometry.  Well i did in solid works, its pain in inventor. It pretty much only thing I have found so far that solidworks has inventor beat.  

Anyways.  Main rule I find here is that you have to use the projected line as the feature line.

Some times this will not let you make a feature/extrude/revolve from it because it can't find the closed loop or its selecting the wrong loop.  So you have to close this loop WITHOUT sketching on top of the previously projected lines.  (i think problem  here is caused by some auto constraint thing inventor does that prevents the "Drawn on top line" from moving when its projected line its linked to does.)

Sometimes it wont let you feature/extrude/revolve the correct loop when there is multiply loops for god knows, and in this case just forget about Project Geo.  Just delete link and dimensions. or just deal with having to redraw every time you change something.   

Everything in parametric is keeping the "link chain" as short as possible if know what I mean.

Message 24 of 27

This is a pretty old thread, so a new one would probably have been better...

Your experience here doesn't match mine at all.  I use projected geometry (edges) frequently in my modeling work, and have found them to be very robust.  I typically toggle projected geometry to construction, and attach new sketch elements to it, and have no difficulty with updates.

But this assumes that the projected edge remains the same edge-- if you projected an edge of a fillet, for example, and then go back and delete the fillet, the original edge is gone, so the projected one becomes an orphan.  But if you've constrained your sketch geometry to that orphaned projected edge, just delete it, project the new edge, re-constrain your geometry.

Post an example or two of parts where this is a problem for you; this would help us to help you find a good Inventor technique.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.4
Vault Workgroup 2017.0.3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 25 of 27

Hi Cheyne,

Could you show me an example you are talking about here? You can send it directly to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). There is definitely room for improvement here. I want to know if this is a bug or it is a limitation.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 26 of 27
sbromley
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I've found that if I edit the original sketch (the one that is projected) then the 2nd sketch isn't updated. Maybe that's how it's meant to be?

Autocad Mechanical 2023
Message 27 of 27
johnsonshiue
in reply to: sbromley

Hi! Not really. If the projected edges have "project" constraint, they should be associative to the source no matter how many levels deep. The only possibility is that the projected edges have "ground" constraint instead. For example, if you project a part-level work geometry to an assembly sketch, it will have

"ground" constraint, instead of "project" constraint.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report