Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projected area to actual area

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
914 Views, 5 Replies

Projected area to actual area

Hello!

I'm a really fresh user when it comes to using Autodesk Inventor and I need some help with producing an element to a drawing.

I have a simple pipe with flanges in which I've made a arbitrary hole in the side using a projected area (located outside the structure). Due to the curvature of the pipe, this hole is larger than the area I have projected. What I want to do is illustrate an area that can be used as a template which is attached to the pipe to and cut accordingly. I have drawn the pipe by revolving it around an axis.

So, is there a way to take this area that I have cut out from the pipe, and fold it out flat on a drawing to get the correct size?

I hope I am clear enough in my description, please ask for clarification if needed.

/Regards, Thyman

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes.

Derive Component as surface body.

Thicken and Rip.

Flat Pattern in Sheet Metal environment.

Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hello JDMather!

Thanks for a rapid reply! Altough I'm afraid I can't quite follow how to proceed. As mentioned, my experience with Inventor is very limited at the moment.

I tried to open a new project as sheet metal, I derived the complete stucture as work surface, I then thicken the rim surrounding the hole, but I can't seem to rip it properly. Am I on the right track?

I have attached my original file as suggested. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

Extract and Open the Flat Pattern part in this folder.

Click on Flat Pattern.

I did this as a template to wrap around your pipe.

If you actually intended to do the pipe as flat, then I would need to change the Thicken.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
LT.Rusty

Here, take a look at these files.

I did it a little differently - I used a split instead of a rip, and only made one half of the template, but the basic principles are the same.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thank you very much, both of you!

This was exactly what I was looking for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report