Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project migration: 2014 to 2015

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
graemev
667 Views, 7 Replies

Project migration: 2014 to 2015

We have just upgraded to 2015.  I've performed a test migration of one project.  The problem is in the migration of Content Center parts.  The link appears to be getting lost/ignored so that upon launching Inventor and opening the main assembly, I'm getting prompted for each and every CC part.  Each "unfound" part is visible in the dialog's file list.  When I select the "missing" part I get a warning about the file not being in the search path of the current project.  Fair enough, as it is the 2014 Content Center folder.

We do not use Vault, but have put the Content Center on a server instead of in the default (local) location.  This has worked well, though it is only now encountering its first migration.  Under Application Options/Content Center tab I have set Inventor Desktop Content to point to the appropriate server location with the new 2015 library files having been copied in.  Under the File tab I have set the Default Content Center files to point to the appropriate server location with a new R2015 folder to receive the new models as generated.

Is there a way to have the task manager update/upgrade all CC parts to the new CC folders? "Refresh Standard Components" only seems to have been patially successful.  Some pipe shapes have migrated, some have not.  Some fittings, some fasteners, etc. but not all.

Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blair
in reply to: graemev

Check that your Project File is pointing to the directory you are using for storing your CC parts and not the source CC library. Any of the source CC data files will need to be manually migrated by opening them from the Project File Editor (Icon is in the lower RH corner of the Project File Editor).

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 8
graemev
in reply to: blair

Adding the R2014 CC parts (not library) folder seems to enable an error-free opening of the assembly. That is to say, in the Projects dialog, for the active project, I have added a path in the Libraries subset pointing to the project's previous CC parts folder: "(server drive letter):\Inventor\Content Center Files\R2014".

Is this the intended method you're describing?

The only related button I can find is "Configure Content Center Libraries" wherein all libraries for the active project are reporting as R2015.

Is there a (simple, For Dummies) way to have Inventor or the Task Manager automatically or automatedly update/upgrade/revise/redirect/reassign/rebuild each project and ALL its associated CC parts in one fell swoop?  Do I have to set up a library path for each project to point to the old CC folder?  (shudder)

Message 4 of 8
graemev

As an alternate "quickie" work-around, would it be simpler to copy all the folders and files under the R2014 folder directly into the R2015 folder and have the Task Manager migrate those models en masse to be 2015 files?

Message 5 of 8
blair

Generally you should have the location where you store your CC files included in your Project. If not, you will always be getting a "Resolve Link" error. Any of the main CC Libraries will need to migrated to the new version, as shown in the link below. This will update the CC Master for each data-base.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/11e80d80-e79f-498e-89ec-f0e1544425ff

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 8
blair

We burn a couple of DVD's prior to Migration, this gives us a quick restore and archive point. We run the Task-Manager and migrate all IPT files first. Then we migrate all IAM on the next run, IPN files and finaly on the last run all IDW's.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 8
graemev

We're having to do this upgrade a bit quicker than I generally prefer, unfortunately.  I'm using a singular project as a test bed as there's no particular worry about losing data (all backed up via the network and generally safe from my machinations), and prior to rolling it out over all the current projects.

What I'm trying at the moment is to copy all the R2014 CC part files over to the R2015 folder, followed by migrating all the newly copied parts in the R2015 folder.  The Inventor Application Data/Files tab points to the R2015 folder for CC parts, which is what I presume they mean where in the Project file Folders subset they say "Default", given that selecting the Content Center listing it pulls up the R2015 folder when probing what "=Default" is pointing at.  This is a good thing, as all the other project files will look there by default, too.  This would eliminate the need to set a new library pointer in each legacy project file.

It may not be pretty, but it may be effective.  Fingers crossed...

Message 8 of 8
graemev

This is being notes as a solution, but it's more like a work-around.

Copying and migrating all the CC parts and folders to the R2015 folder has solved teh problem, though not as directly as one might hope.  Each assembly file in each project has to be opened post-migration so that it may request locations for the missing content. One part for each unique CC folder needs to be found, after which that folder will be scrutinized for any additional missing parts.  It works, but I consider this solution weak.

Migration of projects, assemblies, and Content Center parts therein ought to be far better than this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report