Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Geometry

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
pmh1718
547 Views, 5 Replies

Project Geometry

I used "project geometry" in an assembly to locate and place a hole from one part to another. How do I save the new hole back to the original solid?

Thanks

P.Hines

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jletcher
in reply to: pmh1718

You should have edit part in place start sketch on surface you want hole project geometry then add hole finish edit. you cannot take an assembly hole feature and put it to the part.

Message 3 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: jletcher

@Anonymous wrote:

.... you cannot take an assembly hole feature and put it to the part.

Actually I think there is a tool on labs to do this, but as you stated the part should have been edited in the context of the assembly in the first place rather than adding an assembly level feature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
pmh1718
in reply to: pmh1718

Thanks J, that works.

Message 5 of 6
stevec781
in reply to: jletcher

@Anonymous wrote:

you cannot take an assembly hole feature and put it to the part.

You can create a hole at assembly level with the bolted connection tool and the hole will be sent back to the parts.

Message 6 of 6

I think JDMather is referring to the Feature Migrator tool from Labs. I've been using it for a while now. Works well, but deleting the hole (example) at the part level leaves the sketch/points of the hole in the part. Functionally this creates no problem. It's just annoying.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report