Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project geometry in a sketch surface on same extrusion help please!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2685 Views, 6 Replies

Project geometry in a sketch surface on same extrusion help please!!!

Ok I have searched and searched and asked in almost every forum I can find working with inventor 2013 I hope this is my last forum to sign up with. 😞 

first let me give discription of my project and issue and then I will upload an example .ipty file with the issue in place.

I trying to design a truss a basic truss box style obviousely with 4 sides.

1. I started out on the origin xz plane.
  2. I open a sketch and select center point rectangle I dimention it to my measurements and then extrude using surface extrusion to the hight I want  the truss to be.
  3. I select one face of the surface extrusion to start my sketch on and sketch away when all my sketched lines are done I then fully constrain it.
  4. I select another side of the surface extrusion for example the right face of the surface I select project geometry and start clicking away thinking I am getting some where.
  5. once all projections have been selected I right click the mouse and select ok  and bam nothing happens.
  6. I click on the local update still nothing happens
  7. When I select the second side I was supposed to be projecting to it appears there is no sketch at all there.
  8. When I select the side I was projecting from there are 2 sketches there now instead of one 

Now I am sure there are some out there that is confused with the thread and what i am talking about as am I I am totally new to autodesk Invetor of any version and any other programs associated with autodesk and I am appoligise for my ignorance and possibely spelling grammer issues also but if you can read words you will be able to over look my spelling and grammer and consintrate on my issue please.

Now here is the file I mentioned I would upload for you to examine my errors if any or if it is a setting I am not sure of or aware of.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

#4.  Did you Finish Sketch on the first surface and then start New Sketch on the second surface?

(I'm not on my Inventor computer to check your ipt file).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

If you are projecting onto a perpendicular plane then I would only project endpoints (a line from end appears as a point).

Projecting multiple lines onto a perpedicular plane just puts them overtop of each other.

Exit sketch.

Start new sketch on parallel side of the surface box and the Project Geometry from the previous sketch. What happens?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

yes as in the file I uploaded shows my first sketch was on front face of surface and I did all the other sides of the surface using the project geometry  the back side of the surface did display the projections but the perpendicular  sides to the front face of surface did not as you mentioned they would display the lines and just the start and end points how do I get it to display for use 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

So what your saying is to project only the endpoints and then draw my lines in manually connecting them to the endpoints?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Yes to answer the first question you posted I did finnish the first sketch and started a new sketch on the other face of surface

Message 7 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

So what your saying is to project only the endpoints and then draw my lines in manually connecting them to the endpoints?

Yes.

Note that projected geometry is a different color than sketched geometry.

Note that unconstrained sketched geometry is a different color than fully constrained (defined) geometry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report