Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project file location ipj using Vault with single Inventor project file

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
HSFischer
7221 Views, 8 Replies

Project file location ipj using Vault with single Inventor project file

I am setting up a new work station , and doing a  fresh start with my file structure .This gives me the opportunity to Clean house and do things I really didn't understand first time around . I am using Vault with single Inventor (Master project) and will populate the new(Vault) WorkSpace with library and components as needed.

I have been scouring the Help Files and Best practices  and now have alot of Questions ? ( this is my first post so if I step out of Forum be advise me of correct procedure )

I believe the correct  way to do this is one subject per post so here's my first Question ?

The folder structure that I am using  is the standard "best practices "  but  I have seen two options for ipj locations

option 1  ( witch I believe to be the old way )

----Work

--  Content Center FSL

--  Designs ( WorkSpace ) Project Folder

--ipj[ project file inside designs one level below Libraries and Content members ]

--  Libraries

option 2  ( I think this is what I am to do now )

----Work ( WorkSpace ) Project Folder

--  Content Center FSL

--  Designs

--  Libraries

--  ipj[ project file on same level as Libraries ]

I just can't be sure they both work but I want it right  so as it fills up I have no problems .I would like to know the pros and cons but I am hoping the first is old school .

there doesn't seem to be a lot on this subject  ( I will post my File structure for approval and further refinements  but I need to start with this .

I am using Inventor pro 2015 with  vault basic.

respectfully Herb

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: HSFischer

My suggestion is to locate your Project file (use only one) just under Vault's Root level (Root is signified by the "$")

This puts everything under that one .IPJ and keeps everything in order and accessible.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 3 of 9

Hope a picture is worth a thousand replies....

Test-01.JPG

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 4 of 9
HSFischer
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

thank you Jim ( so my ipj will be right below the root [ not the old way] )

1.   If you had libraries they would be on the same level

2.  when setting my inventor project (workspace ) folder do I use "Work" top level  our one level down "Designs"

3.  when setting my Vault "Working Folder" again do you use the "Work" top level (above Libraries ) our "Designs" one level down ( same Level as libraries) 

did things change? some ware along the way so when I read older information I get my self confused .

do you now want the working folder and ipj at the top

Message 5 of 9
The_Angry_Elf

All folders, Content Center, Custom Libraries, and your general, top level "work" folder would all fall directly under the Root folder, see pic:

Test-02.JPG

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 6 of 9

Test-03.JPG

You can still create and use multiple Project files if you so choose, but I find it much more stable and less confusing to have just one Project file and then different subfolders for the projects/designs you are working on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
HSFischer
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

OK  that is the way I have my folder set up 

1. I will set my ipj (only using one ) under root ,like you advise

2. should I set my workspace folder in  windows explorer ( inventor projects ) to top level "work" our one level down "designs"

3. set working folder in vault to explorer " workspace"  to top level "Work" our one level down "Designs"

4.  do I map  (in Inventor) the project root to $ in vault our one level down to "Designs" 

I ask this because all of the info I have read has me doing it this way but I believe what you are saying is set every thing top level ( one project file only)

Message 8 of 9
HSFischer

It Works fine both ways I would just like to do it the best way as this is my foundation moving forward
HCF
Message 9 of 9
The_Angry_Elf

Yes, you have the freedom to set Vault up as you please based on your needs.

All we can do is suggest what might work better for you.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report