Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project file disappearing from navigation

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Ver1tas
1859 Views, 10 Replies

Project file disappearing from navigation

I did a search for this problem and there were a few threads that came close, but didnt really address the exact problem.  My company requires us to use two master project files instead of one and my problem is that i can add both .ipj files into the Projects navigator in Inventor and set one as the current project, but as soon as i close the navigation window and reopen it (presumably to switch to the other project) the project that is not the active project disappears from the navigation window.  The .ipj file still exists, it just doesnt show in the navigator and i have to browse to find it again.  This problem happens no matter which project i set to be currently active.  How can i keep that from happening?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: Ver1tas

Can you post a couple of screen shots showing the problem.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
Ver1tas
in reply to: blair

The first image is what i would like the project navigation to always look like, both of the master project files in the window at the same time so i can quickly switch between them.

1.JPG

The next image is what the navigation window looks like after i have clicked "Done" in the previous screen and immeiately gone back into the projects navigator (less than 3 seconds later).

2.JPG

The next image is after i have re-added the project that disappeared (note that i now have the second project active).

3.JPG

And the last screen is after i have clicked "Done" and re-opened the project navigator again.  So for some reason Inventor is removing the project that is not currently active.

4.JPG

Message 4 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Ver1tas,

Inventor creates a shortcut to the project files, and it is this shortcut that is added/removed to the list you're seeing. It could be that the folder your shortcuts are being created in is the issue. You can change this folder path to another path to test this.

Go to the Tools tab > Application Options button > File tab > Projects Folder setting

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 11
Ver1tas
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Does inventor have issues with network drives?  We need to be able to share these projects amongst multiple engineers.  I have tried two network drives now (one encrypted, and the other not) and i am still having the same issue.

Message 6 of 11
swhite

Why not just put two subfolders under one project folder?

Work>Compliance

>non-Compliance

Then you could switch back and forth with ease, share files easily, etc and yet still retain two working folders.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 11
SBix26

The projects themselves (.ipj files) should be on the network share.  But there's no reason for the shortcuts (as Curtis described) to be there.  Those belong in your My Documents folder on your local drive, which is where Inventor puts them by default.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 8 of 11
Ver1tas
in reply to: SBix26

So what would cause those shortcuts to vanish? It happens almost immediately so that leads me to think that they arent being created in the first place.
Message 9 of 11
SBix26

Where are your project shortcuts stored?  That is, what is Application Options > File > Projects folder set to?  It looks as if it might be a file permissions issue at that location.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 10 of 11
smpankow
in reply to: SBix26

I had the same problem. Checking  the folder "Application Options > File > Projects folder" I found I somehow moved all my IPJ files to "C:\Users\kp\Documents\Inventor". I moved them to "C:\Users\kp\Documents\Inventor\Projects" and the issue was solved. All of my projects show up in the Navigator.

Message 11 of 11

This was exactly what I needed to do, my problem is fixed. Thank you for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report