Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project cut edges error

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dominiekvanwest
312 Views, 5 Replies

Project cut edges error

Hi,

I found a weird thing with the command 'Project Cut Edges'. I'll explain what I did. I made a new part and added a derived part. This derived part consists of 2 beams (see top left picture in attachment) (these beams are NOT Content Center parts, but I drew the beams myself, so it would be the same if I drew just rectangles as beams). The beams are at a specified distance of each other (see top right picture in attachment). I added a sketch on the YZ Plane and clicked on 'Project Cut Edges' (see bottom left picture in attachment). I added a rectangle and extruded the rectangle. But if I click on the 'Project Cut Edges' item in the browser under Sketch (or I open the Sketch), not all the lines are there anymore. And if I make the distance between the beams smaller, the lines get shorter too (and vice versa).

What is wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

Dominiek

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CAD-One
in reply to: dominiekvanwest

You are trying to cut material off of surfaces. Try this. Rmb derived part and click edit. I see currently you have surfaces mode. So, select solid instead.Hit ok. You extrude should work now.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 3 of 6
dominiekvanwest
in reply to: CAD-One

Hi,

I do not want to cut anything, it's just an extrusion of a rectangle (I needed a feature to show the problem).

The problem stays the same when I change surface to solid.

Message 4 of 6
jletcher

This has been an issue for a very long time sometimes it works other times it don't most don't.. I stay away from it I just project the edges and stay away from project cut edge. I know this don't help. But just maybe just maybe in release 2050 it will be fixed.....................

Message 5 of 6
dominiekvanwest
in reply to: jletcher

Thanks for the reply!

In the meantime I already did what you suggest, just project the edges myself (with project geometry) instead of using project cut edges. It works for now, but of course I would like the project cut edges to work correctly.

Message 6 of 6
jletcher

Yes I agree it should work. But to let you know when it did work I found issues with performance...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report