Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
alauth
Message 1 of 6 (407 Views)
Accepted Solution

Productivity Commands & Custom templates

407 Views, 5 Replies
10-23-2013 04:41 AM

Anyone know how to set up the Productivity commands in an assembly so that the Add Part/Assembly commands use our default custom templates we created. Application options are set up to the location of our standard templates as well as the project file. Yet when we use the Add Part/Assembly command from the productivity panel in an assembly it does not carry over our default settings.

As best I can tell, at least in 2013, these commands use Standard.ipt and Standard.iam from the default templates folder.  I just tested it, and it does carry over properties and other information that we have in those templates.  Are you saying that yours doesn't pull from the Standard templates, or that you're trying to get it to pull from a template other than Standard?

I have never changed any settings to enable this - in fact, before this test I had never used these commands at all. 

I would try renameing the templates. I bet that the productivity shortcuts work just like the new file dropdown shortcuts in the ribbon bar.

Name the templates that shipped with IV something like "standard-as-shipped.iam". 

Then rename your custom templates to "standard.iam" . 

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 2 of 6 (384 Views)

Re: Productivity Commands & Custom templates

10-23-2013 06:37 AM in reply to: alauth

What version of Inventor?  Are you talking about the Create In Place Component?  There is a pull down in the dialog that allows you to select the template, which should default to the paths you have set up.  Is this what you want to do?

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

Contributor
alauth
Message 3 of 6 (381 Views)

10-23-2013 06:41 AM in reply to: alauth

We use Autodesk Professional 2014. I have included a screen shot of the commands that I am trying to use (Add Part/Assembly command) located on the Productivity Tab of the Assemble ribbon

*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 4 of 6 (358 Views)

10-23-2013 10:27 AM in reply to: alauth

As best I can tell, at least in 2013, these commands use Standard.ipt and Standard.iam from the default templates folder.  I just tested it, and it does carry over properties and other information that we have in those templates.  Are you saying that yours doesn't pull from the Standard templates, or that you're trying to get it to pull from a template other than Standard?

I have never changed any settings to enable this - in fact, before this test I had never used these commands at all. 

John Tyler
Inventor 2015
Windows 7 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
swalton
Message 5 of 6 (354 Views)

10-23-2013 10:38 AM in reply to: alauth

I would try renameing the templates. I bet that the productivity shortcuts work just like the new file dropdown shortcuts in the ribbon bar.

Name the templates that shipped with IV something like "standard-as-shipped.iam". 

Then rename your custom templates to "standard.iam" . 

Inventor 2014
Vault Professional 2014
Contributor
alauth
Message 6 of 6 (345 Views)

10-23-2013 10:54 AM in reply to: alauth

Yes, we have renamed our custom templates from the standard names that came with inventor and they are located in a completely different folder. So it sounds that if we rename our custom templates back to the standard names that this function will work. Thanks.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.