Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Design Suite 2015

209 REPLIES 209
Message 1 of 210
jdits7
9885 Views, 209 Replies

Product Design Suite 2015

Here are some of the details about Product Design Suite 2015.

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2014/03/product-design-suite-2015.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
209 REPLIES 209
Message 21 of 210
blair
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

I haven't seen any "real" updates or Showcase over the last couple of releases. When you do your Upgrade to IV2015, leave Showcase 2014 on your system. It will still work and should open IV2015. It's only looking at the surface of the item and not any of the kernel that deals with how it was made and what features were used to create the part. Showcase 2014 didn't recognize Joints used by IV2014, it only looked at Constraints.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 22 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: blair

Does anyone know when service packs for 2015 will be out............ Smiley LOL

LOL.........

Message 23 of 210

@Anonymous wrote:

You may not want to say that, word is Microsoft might just do that...

They are thinking of selling it....

Hi jletcher,

Could you provide a supporting link about Microsoft selling Excel?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 24 of 210
Ray_Feiler

What if you are on a multi-year subscription? When we purchased our 3 year subscription it included more software than it now has. That doesn't seam right to me. Smiley Sad

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 25 of 210
sholmes

I'm really surprised they got rid of Alias Design, that was the one program I always wanted to spend some time learning when I got the chance. I would have rather seen them keep Alias Design and get rid of 3D Studio Max.
Message 26 of 210
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: sholmes

I don't currently have any use for Navisworks Manage at all. Maybe they will let me swap that for Alias Design... Not.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 27 of 210

No it was an insider info but they did just release office for ipad Smiley Wink.....

They talked about it a few years ago too, that is on the web some place but they decided not too now in talks again...

But I really don't think they will...

Message 28 of 210
mthomas
in reply to: Rory_M

What's interesting is that it appears that Building Design Suite 2015 still contains Showcase. In fact the "Ultimate" edition has Inventor and Showcase, maybe that's the upgrade path?

Mike Thomas

Tags (1)
Message 29 of 210
LT.Rusty
in reply to: mthomas

@mthomas wrote:

What's interesting is that it appears that Building Design Suite 2015 still contains Showcase. In fact the "Ultimate" edition has Inventor and Showcase, maybe that's the upgrade path?

If it was Inventor Professional ... maybe, but it's only vanilla Inventor.  I have absolutely zero use for anything in BDS other than Inventor and Showcase, though, and relatively little even for vanilla Inventor.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 30 of 210
scottmoyse
in reply to: Rory_M

@Rory_M wrote:
Will Showcase 2014 import Inventor 2015 files? Does anyone know?

I wonder what would happen if Microsoft removed Excel from Office....

I can confirm that Showcase 2014 WON'T import Inventor 2015 geometry.... you will need to export it from Inventor. I will have muck about some more to see if there is an acceptable workflow.

This is my issue with Suites, there are no guarantees that products will or won't be in them. At least with Standalone products you know what you are getting, HOWEVER, everyone had the opportunity to opt out of the Suites when they were introduced. One would assume they will never remove Inventor from the PrDS or FDS suites.... It's still a no brainer to go with the Suite option over the standalone products though based on the shear value of the software you get, new customers won't miss Showcase. I think there is more to come from this though. Cloud Credits for Showcase 360? That product is the worst kept secret out there, has anyone tested it & are allowed to talk about it? If you are on subs you get an allocation of Cloud Credits and in my opinion Showcase in the cloud will be far better than on the desktop. My issue with it was always the time it took to achieve a non grainy image with Ray Tracing, the Cloud 'should' take care of that.

Also something else to take notice of is the Suite pricing. Yeah they have removed products, but they reduced the buy price as well, which is not to be sniffed at. Yeah that doesn't help existing customers, but I would imagine that the lowering of the buy price will also be reflected in the subscription costs? So that would mean there would be no change for Standard & premium customers, but potentially there could be a subs cost drop for the Ultimate customers who have lost Alias Design.

This is still an odd decision from Autodesk. I just doesn't make any sense, there must be more to it, please let there be more to it. Factory Design users are looking pretty suite right now, they even have their own forum on here. Controversial times.

Just a comment to add. Make sure you politely express any frustrations you have with your Reseller, there may be something they can work out with Autodesk. You never know, power to the people & all that. It's possible they made this decision based on CIP data, how many of you opt out of that?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 31 of 210
blair
in reply to: scottmoyse

Good to know on the Showcase 2014 with Inventor 2015. Never tried importing Beta IV2015 models.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 32 of 210
WHolzwarth

Hmm. Some weeks ago I've been reading this:

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/which-products-will-be-in-the-autodesk-2015-suites/

That looked well ok for me. But now I'm simply disappointed.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 33 of 210
sam_m
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Add me to the disappointed camp.

we all know the raytracing in 2014 is fubar'd so I tried Showcase for some product renders and was really impressed by the results.  So, I was happy there was a decent alternative.  And, now it's gone...  A conspiricy theorist would joke they've done it on purpose... lol.  God help the flack and abuse if the built in raytracing is still screwed in 2015.

As an engineer and product designer I find the inclusion of 3d Studio unnecessary, but I still need a way to create nice renders one in a blue moon - certainly not regularly enough to justify a subscription.  Showcase seemed to have better control of material look/finish, so unless that functionality is added to Inventor then it's a backwards step.

Alias was 1 thing I was looking forward to learning, if I ever had 5mins spare, so that option for future development has gone too.  *grumble*

I can only guess it was decided by people in a meeting, who have never used the products.  They've got a chart with "raytracing" and see it's ticked in Inventor and also Showcase, so they drop Showcase as it's already in Inventor.  The same goes for Alias as "surface modelling" is in Inventor...

The stranger thing is...  2014 was a powerhouse of a software package to rival Solidworks, but now I'm thinking we'll have less functionality toe-to-toe.  (saying this, I'm yet to pick my way through the what's new documentation, but I'm not holding my breath).

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 34 of 210
Rory_M

We predominantly use the real time mode in Showcase as opposed to rendering. It's so quick to get excellent results, as long as you have a decent graphics card and remeber to bake the shadows and turn the AA up.

Max is a great package, and I can use it (to a point) but I don't find it anywhere near as fast as Showcase for those quick marketing/sales images. No-one else in the office here can use Max or has time to learn it. Let's face it, it is probably overkill for 99% of engineers.

Message 35 of 210
mdavis22569
in reply to: sam_m

Not happy .... I was under the impression that everything but Alias would be in the Ultimate Suite though I really started to like Showcase in the past month I started playing with it ... Curious if my Showcase 2014 will let me work with Inventor 2015 files ...hmmmm

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 36 of 210
scottmoyse
in reply to: mdavis22569

@michaeldavis7418 wrote:
Curious if my Showcase 2014 will let me work with Inventor 2015 files ...hmmmm

No dice. I tried earlier & reported on here. You can export as STEP etc from Inventor, then import into Showcase but at this point that's all we got.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 37 of 210
mdavis22569
in reply to: scottmoyse

SMH ... I'm lucky we have all Premium and Ultimate suites ... Apparently all of the Premium will become Ultimates ..

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 38 of 210
BKoomler
in reply to: jdits7

I'm going to join the not happy camp. Personally I find myself using Sketchbook quite frequently. It's funny how these updates just happened to be overlooked when I payed for my subscription last fall.

Message 39 of 210
WHolzwarth
in reply to: BKoomler

I could think of selecting about 80% of all interesting products in the Ultimate Suite by user's own choice.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 40 of 210
SteveL~
in reply to: jdits7

VERY, dissapointed to see that Showcase & Alias are no longer bundled. Apart from Inventor itself, the rest of the package is now of no use to us. I've been using Inventor since release 4 and Showcase is one of the best visualision products on the market. This strategy has my company looking over the fence to see what the competion can provide........

Shame. Why break something that is working so well?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report