Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Design Suite 2015

209 REPLIES 209
Message 1 of 210
jdits7
9955 Views, 209 Replies

Product Design Suite 2015

Here are some of the details about Product Design Suite 2015.

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2014/03/product-design-suite-2015.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
209 REPLIES 209
Message 2 of 210
mcgyvr
in reply to: jdits7

"Also some products were removed from all of the packages. The products that were removed are Showcase, Sketchbook Designer, Mudbox, and Alias Design."

NOOOOOOOOO... I was just getting to really like Showcase since autodesk did such a great job of absolutely breaking rendering in 2014... 

Guess I'll stay on INV 2014... 

I wonder if I can keep Showcase 2014 installed and use it with Inventor 2015.. Probably not.. But I sure hope so...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 210
cbenner
in reply to: mcgyvr
Message 4 of 210
mcgyvr
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

Figures.  After hearing all the good things about Showcase, I was just thinking of loading it and looking into it.  Oh, well.

Watch the video on the "Sales Engineering" tab.. ha ha ha ha ha ha.. 

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/product-design-suite/overview

"New to Autodesk Product Design Suite this year... ability to create new rendering types and styles in showcase..."

Nope... Showcase is gone now autodesk.... 

Nothing like a 2 year old video on your introductionary page for your new product design suites "showcasing" a product you just took away.. Come on.. really.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: cbenner

Oh don't worry it gets worst...

I have been playing with demo and they did not listen on our ideas. I stopped at beta 2 so I do not know if they fixed some of them but not happy at all with it..

You think you click a lot now they added some more to it...

Just to place your 1st part is an act of god. 

Just not happy with where they are taking Inventor sad just sad............

Not sure if it was the beta but it took 7 minutes to start Inventor, 3 minutes to open a part. Never had this issue with other beta.

I had to stop playing with it was ready to shoot my computer..

Message 6 of 210
jeanchile

So wait.... Are you telling me that back in 2012 they add 13 programs to my Inventor, charge me a grundle, then they take away the two programs from there that I ACTUALLY USE!!!!???!!!???

Why do I feel like I am being taken advantage of here? I'm going back to see what I was paying for just Inventor before. Why do I feel Ike if I go back to just Inventor now, I'm going to be paying double?
Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 210
LT.Rusty

Right there with you guys on Showcase.  I used that a LOT.  Not pleased at all to see it go away.

Now I'll have to learn Max in order to do rendering ... *grumble*

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 210
MikahB

Well good - this at least makes my decision easy!  I've been on subscription since 2009 and I use Alias, Showcase, and Sketchbook Designer a fair amount.  I will not be upgrading to 2015 - 2014 meets all my needs at the moment anyway.

Bizarre.

EDIT: I figure in 2-3 years when I'm ready to upgrade from PDS Ultimate 2014, the pay-as-you-go CAD software model will be fully mature and it will make more sense anyway.  I like the products, but this "dynamic" purchase packaging is crap.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 9 of 210
Rory_M

Please add me to the list of "not happy" about the Showcase removal decision.

We produce all of our marketing and sales images in Showcase and have a number of engineers using a number of PDSU licenses. We all use Showcase from time to time as it's fast, easy and produces professional results.

We now have the following options:

1) Use Inventor Studio (shudder)

2) Everybody learn 3DS Max (probably not going to happen)

3) Fork out for multiple licenses of Showcase, on top of our subscription costs (ermmmm...)

Autodesk, if you do read this then please be aware that by removing the most efficient method of generating marketing images you have potentialy increased our workload and substantially reduced the value of your product suite.

Just my 2p worth.

Rory

Message 10 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: Rory_M

Yeah but stock holder are happy and that is all Autodesk cares about anymore.

They will not be happy to find people leaving Inventor..

I just lost another client to another software that is 5 seats not much....

Found out someone I was trying to get left Inventor 25 seats......

Message 11 of 210
-niels-
in reply to: mcgyvr

I'm gonna chime in on the "Noooo... Not Showcase!" boat...

This feels like they noticed that Showcase was getting used more and getting a lot of positive response and just thought "hey, we can make money here..."

Probably the same for those other programs, though i can't really comment on that.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 12 of 210
JamesLovell

Not too sure i agree with the removel of Showcase or Sketchbook... it would make more sence to remove 3DS Max and keep the other stuff!

For people who still want to do decent SIMPLE rendering, i use 'Bunkspeed Shot' and recommend it!

Subscription customers can keep any parts of 2014 installed anyway 🙂

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 13 of 210
Rory_M
in reply to: JamesLovell

Will Showcase 2014 import Inventor 2015 files? Does anyone know?

I wonder what would happen if Microsoft removed Excel from Office....

Message 14 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: Rory_M

You may not want to say that, word is Microsoft might just do that...

They are thinking of selling it....

Message 15 of 210
Rory_M
in reply to: jletcher

Does showcase 2015 actually exist or is the product now obsolete?
I'd like to see the What's New document for it if it's available.

Edit - It does exist, it's listed as part of the AutoCAD suite here:

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/autocad-design-suite/included-software

Message 16 of 210
mrattray

I've been using Showcase since the 2012 suite. Besides Inventor and AutoCAD it was the only thing in the suite I cared about at all. I certainly don't use it enough to justify additional expense, but it devalues the suites significantly. Put me down as "I don't think that's a good idea".
James, this will just encourage more people to go to Open Office. I already refuse to buy Microsoft Office, myself. In fact, I can't even bring myself to buy Windows for my home PC.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 17 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

Does open Office work with Inventor?

Message 18 of 210
LT.Rusty
in reply to: jletcher

@Anonymous wrote:

Does open Office work with Inventor?

Not that I know of...

For that matter, it doesn't always even work with MS Office.  I used it until I had access to the Microsoft HUP through work, and there were always formatting isuses between Word and OO, and formula issues between Excel and OO.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 19 of 210
mrattray
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I didn't mean to imply it would. My point was that gouging people alienates them.
I've never actually used OO. I use the Linux equivalent at home, but have no need for compatibility with Microsoft.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 20 of 210
Ray_Feiler

I have been thinking of dropping subscription anyway. This just makes my decision easier. I use Alias Design.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report