Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product design. Best 3D software for presenting 3D models.

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
mailswamp
1458 Views, 16 Replies

Product design. Best 3D software for presenting 3D models.

I frequently have to design things that dont exist in real life for my job. Usually those are simple plastic household items. (few plastic parts) There is no need for artistic design, so Alias Design is not necessary. Akias is too hard for me.

So far I had tried to use Autodesk Inventor to design them. All I really need in the end is a fancy computer 3D model. I don't have to make an exact model of what will be manufactured at the end. But the model has to accurately show the features of new product.  Before I purchase a license, I want to know if there is any better software for this purpose.

Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: mailswamp

What is your budget/time for learing Inventor?

Perhaps free Inventor Fusion might do what you want. http://labs.autodesk.com

Be aware that Inentor Fusion is very different than Autodesk Inventor.

There are a bunch of tutorials (mostly older) in my signature that go step-by-step through some part creation.

You could also download the free Tutorial Files that come with Inventor and open them in Free Inventor Fusion to get an idea of what can be done in Inventor.

Just noticed that you have been posting in this forum for a year.  You should know all about Inventor and Inventor Fusion?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
mailswamp
in reply to: JDMather

I didnt use any 3D software for a long time so I technically forgot it.\

I have a $10,000 budget, so dont worry about cost.

I dont understand what is the difference among the "inventor" line of products.

123D seemed to work well, but it has a lot of bugs that are solved in Autodesk Inventor Fusion.

So what product should I use?

Message 4 of 17
mailswamp

I am ready to pay as long as it works.

Message 5 of 17
falkmassmann

How about you´reusing Autodesk Inventor and use Inventor Studio to make some fancy pictures to display your work?

If that isn´t enough you could expand on the Product Design Suite and use Showcase, which is a bit of a dumbed down version of Alias Design.

Contact a Value Added Reseller in your area, he will give you more informations.

All the best

Message 6 of 17
stevec781

I assume that you are doing some conceptual design and history based modelling is hopeless for this.  You need to be able to push and pull surfaces and edges without worryinng about feature order, but Fusion and the way it integrates is hopeless when compared to others.  By far the best in my opinion is solidedge.  The way they have integrated ST is first class.  A cheaper option is Spaceclaim.  If you only need a model and arent worried about creating drawings then go for Rhino.

Message 7 of 17
mailswamp
in reply to: stevec781

So Rhino 3D cannot generate fancy raster views of the 3D model on its own? What can?

Thank you.

Seems like I am chosing between Inventor and Rhino. Is Solidworks of the same kind of CAD? Is it good for product concept design?

Message 8 of 17
mcgyvr

Solidworks hands down Smiley LOL

Solidworks is basically the same as Inventor..

This post is like going to a BMW forum and asking what the best car for driving is. uummm BMW. duh..

The ONLY way you can get a true answer is to request demos of all the software packages and evaluate them for yourself.. NO WAY IN HELL would I purchase a 5-10 thousand dollar CAD package without trying them out and just relying on the replies of a few people on the internet..

You need to sit down and specify exactly what YOU and your company needs, then evaluate each version. Heck even get the sales monkeys for each software package to come in and walk you through each demo showing what it can/cannot do.

Based on what you have provided so far.. The free Google Sketchup meets your requirements. But please don't take my word or anyone else for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 17
mailswamp
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Solidworks hands down Smiley LOL

Solidworks is basically the same as Inventor..

This post is like going to a BMW forum and asking what the best car for driving is. uummm BMW. duh..

The ONLY way you can get a true answer is to request demos of all the software packages and evaluate them for yourself.. NO WAY IN HELL would I purchase a 5-10 thousand dollar CAD package without trying them out and just relying on the replies of a few people on the internet..

You need to sit down and specify exactly what YOU and your company needs, then evaluate each version. Heck even get the sales monkeys for each software package to come in and walk you through each demo showing what it can/cannot do.

Based on what you have provided so far.. The free Google Sketchup meets your requirements. But please don't take my word or anyone else for it.

I am more concerned about different models of BMW here in this forum. Maybe Solidworks will be the program of choice. I am not buying anything yet.

Message 10 of 17
JDMather

@mailswamp wrote:

I am more concerned about different models of BMW here in this forum. Maybe Solidworks will be the program of choice. I am not buying anything yet.

What does that mean?

Somewhere there is a list of the different options.

Inventor LT

Inventor

Inventor Routed Systems
Inventor Analysis

Inventor Professional

and the bundled product suites they are sold with.

Your VAR can fill  you in.

You must have missed the point that there is no significant difference between Inventor and SolidWorks - especially for what you want (near as I can tell).

http://store.autodesk.com/store/adskus/list/categoryID.55922400

I recommend you budget an amout equal to the cost of a seat of the software for training.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 11 of 17
stevec781

Solidworks is similar to inventor but it has better freeform surfacing, but there are rumours of a kernel change so its future is unclear, but if it gets the Catia kernel then it could be even better.  At the moment solidedge has the best seamless integrtaion of history and direct modelling capabilities. (in my opinion) 

ProE Creo 2.0 has some nice freeform now called freestyle  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzIiGS4NfGc&feature=related

Rhino can make 3D raster images but it doesnt have an associative 2D drawing environment so most users export to a 2D cad and create drawings there, but it is a great surface and freeform modeller.  Spaceclaim is a great direct modeller that also creates asscoiative 2D drawings.

Inventor has its strengths but its the wrong tool for fast conceptual freeform design.

Forget talking to resellers just yet, they will all say theirs is the best.  Spend a couple of hours on youtube to see what different programs can do.

Message 12 of 17
mailswamp

so which one is more ergonomic?

autocad or solidworks

what about rendering?

that will solve my questions

Message 13 of 17
JDMather

@mailswamp wrote:

so which one is more ergonomic?

autocad or solidworks

what about rendering?

I don't know what that means?  Can you explain?
When did AutoCAD enter this discussion?
Why are you comparing AutoCAD to SolidWorks?  Inventor and SolidWorks are equivalent.  This has already been stated here.
The AutoCAD forum is over here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD/ct-p/8

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
mailswamp

I am sorry

I am chosing between inventor and solidworks.

Message 15 of 17
stevec781

That's easy then.  Solidworks has a flex feature, deform feature, dome feature and freeform feature.  Inventor doesnt.  To get similar in inventor you need to use the fusion/alias add in but down stream features do not update if the fusion/alias body is edited later, so again useless for conceptual work.  Check out the solidworks online help to see what those features can do.

Message 16 of 17
mailswamp

Thank you.

I will use Solidworks.

Message 17 of 17
stevec781

Be sure to do a trial before you commit your money, just to be sure it does what you need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report