Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with threading

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
zreed042
560 Views, 3 Replies

Problems with threading

Howdy fellas. I'm designing a flashhider that fits on an airsoft gun using AutoCad Inventor and trying to print it using the 3D printing service, Shapeways. The threads on the gun are M14-1 and when I use the thread feature in Inventor all it puts on the part is a 2D texture. When I upload the model to any other software (Meshlab for example) the threads are gone. So, I downloaded a pllugin that models the threads in 3D. This fixed the problem in part, but when I upload the model to shapeways (in an .stl format) I get some weirdness.

Here's the flash hider:

And here's what shapeways thinks I upload:

It somehow fills in the hole that I tapped and threaded. Is there any way to fix this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: zreed042

If you increase the quality of the stl file during export does it fix the problem?  When you do a save copy as to save to stl hit the options button before you save and mess with those settings..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
zreed042
in reply to: mcgyvr

You know what, that totally fixed the problem! (I also drew the thread manually)

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: zreed042

Also check the units when creating the stl as Inventor defaults to CM rather than document units.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report