Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

zreed042
Message 1 of 4 (384 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problems with threading

384 Views, 3 Replies
01-12-2012 11:40 AM

Howdy fellas. I'm designing a flashhider that fits on an airsoft gun using AutoCad Inventor and trying to print it using the 3D printing service, Shapeways. The threads on the gun are M14-1 and when I use the thread feature in Inventor all it puts on the part is a 2D texture. When I upload the model to any other software (Meshlab for example) the threads are gone. So, I downloaded a pllugin that models the threads in 3D. This fixed the problem in part, but when I upload the model to shapeways (in an .stl format) I get some weirdness.

Here's the flash hider:

And here's what shapeways thinks I upload:

It somehow fills in the hole that I tapped and threaded. Is there any way to fix this?

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 4 (374 Views)

Re: Problems with threading

01-12-2012 11:55 AM in reply to: zreed042

If you increase the quality of the stl file during export does it fix the problem?  When you do a save copy as to save to stl hit the options button before you save and mess with those settings..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

zreed042
Message 3 of 4 (371 Views)

01-12-2012 12:02 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

You know what, that totally fixed the problem! (I also drew the thread manually)

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 4 (361 Views)

01-12-2012 12:36 PM in reply to: zreed042

Also check the units when creating the stl as Inventor defaults to CM rather than document units.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.