Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Sheet Metal

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
J0mppe
921 Views, 12 Replies

Problems with Sheet Metal

I have couple of problems that I haven't managed yet on my own. So I hope someone else can.

1. How I can get "smooth" bends without those "steps"? See part: Smooth Bend

2. How I can round that Flange's "inside" corner? Not any kind of corner relief! Just smooth Corner Round like those other corners have. See part: Corner Round

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
swhite
in reply to: J0mppe

You can sketch the round corner on your flat pattern, although such will not show on the model.Try modeling in the round before bending the part. It works on a normal part then converted to sheet metal, so expect it'll work there too.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 13
JDMather

First part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Second part, but there is actually a bit more to consider with this - back in a minute.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 13
JDMather

This is probably more proper approach.

Message 6 of 13
J0mppe

So there is no simple way to do those things? It would be really nice if Inventor could handle those things without any special tricks, because it takes more time and it's not allways possible to do those tricks. And if I'll manually do those things to "Flat Pattern" it causes another problems, because those things aren't shown in Folded model.

So maybe Inventor 2014 could handle things like rounding corners which are on bending line and doing "smooth" bends when bend line isn't 90 degrees accordind to edge?

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@J0mppe wrote:

So there is no simple way to do those things?...

I thought my solutions were pretty simple and worked.

In any case -

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Message 8 of 13
J0mppe

Yes it was simple enough in some cases, so thanks for that. But we have to design many kinds of things and allmost all of them aren't so simple at all. So it's very rare to us that we are designing just some simple boxes or covers. It would be much easier if I would just sketch 2 separate faces and then "connect" those smoothly  and define the bending angles.

Message 9 of 13
JDMather

I guess that if there were Easy Button solutions your company could hire someone off the street to do your job at less money than the big bucks you are paid.  Smiley Happy

I tried one of the parts in SWx - no easy button solution there either, I will try the other one later today if I get a chance.

Be sure to submit a wish list request including examples if possible.

Message 10 of 13
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi J0mppe,

So I looked at the files earlier in Inventor 2013, and noticed that there was not an option to specify no bend relief. I don't have Inventor 2011 or Inventor 2012 installed at the moment, but I looked at Inventor 2010 and was able to confirm that there was an option for not creating a relief.

I'm not sure when this change was made, and I'm curious if it was intentional or if the developers accidentally removed the option. Maybe others that are using 2011 and or 2012 can look into this.

Attached is the 2010 file.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Bend Relief None.png

Message 11 of 13

Curtis - I tried a Corner Round on the part you attached and the results are not correct.

Message 12 of 13

Hi JDMather,

Maybe that's what they were trying to fix when they took away the ability to have no bend relief?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 13 of 13
J0mppe

Thanks to both of you that you have spend your time trying to resolve this even I haven't found a solution yet that satisfies me enough.

But JDMather I think it benefits all of us that Inventor is easy to use, makes designers everyday life easier and increases productivity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report