Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with part associativity to a 3d sketch

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
756 Views, 15 Replies

Problems with part associativity to a 3d sketch

Hi all, First post here, have been lurking for a while.

I am having problems getting a part to update correctly. I have made a 3d sketch of center lines of "Legs" of my model. they are constrained to 2d sketches on either end to set the top and bottom distance between legs. I end up with a taper to the base. There is a face tie plate that spans across two legs on the taper resting tangent and on the center line of the legs.

I have projected the geometry for the legs CL (3d Sketch) on two the sketch that i used to for the extrude to create the face tie plate. constraints where added to keep the lines on the projected , but when i change the 2d sketch dim that controls the 3d sketch (see photo attached) the plate does not adjust to the 3d sketches new width. I have designated the sketch and feature as adaptive for the face tie plate.

I have tried several methods to get this to work including deleting and changing assembly constraint for the tie plate part. I must be doing something wrong.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
admaiora
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mechlad,

1- have you tried Manage Tab> Rebuild All  ?

2- Can you attach the assembly here? Much quicker respect to read and suppose with 2 screenshots.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 16
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

....constraints where added to keep the lines on the projected ....

This does not make sense to me?

I would expect a single skeletal sketch file to control the assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: admaiora

Thanks for responding.

yes i have tried the rebuild command as well the update. I have attached a shot of what the tie plate sketch looks like when adjusting form 36 to 50 on the controlling 2d skech. the pink are the old position of the legs 3d sketch (36) the yellow are the new position (50). The projected geometry is still in its original position and did not move with the change.

does projected geometry update with changes in Inventor? I have recently moved over from other Software where I would do similar cross referencing, Is there a better way in inventor to accomplish this plate to adjust with the design change?

I have used a 2d and 3d sketch on the skeleton.

I have now updated the photo

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

I updated the above photo. Also here is the skeleton wiht 2d contolled 3d sketch.

Message 6 of 16
JDMather

MechLad wrote: 

....does projected geometry update with changes in Inventor?

Yes.

The question becomes, "Where are you projecting from-to?"

In a single part file between sketches?

Between parts in context of an assembly (Adaptivity set)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 16
JDMather

I see a lot of pink (sick) geometry.

Is it really sick (pink is Inventor visual aid for indicating sick geometry), or are you using your own personal sketch color style?

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Yeah, I changed them to magenta for contrast, didn't know about that being the color for sick geom, I definitely will change that.

from to, single part? Im going from the bottom 2d sketch through the second sketch (adjustable one) to the top one (will be same as second one). These legs are actually frame generator with the 3d sketch as the members.

Everything, up to this point has worked beautifully, except the tie plate not adjusting when the legs (3d sketch) move.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 9 of 16
JDMather

Here is another tip.

I see a lot of workplanes.  You may or may not need those.

For your "pyramid" I would use a Lofted Surface Body rather than a bunch of workplanes.

I would expect to have no more than 2 workplanes other than the origin planes in a problem like that.

Maybe more, but I doubt it.

I might have a single vertical "elevation pole" line with dimensioned height points going right up the center.

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Nice, thanks for the tips, ill look into that when I get a chance.

The projected 3d geometry not changing in the part sketch to its adjusted position has me at a loss, Am I breaking some sort of intrinsic rule in Inventor?

Message 11 of 16
JDMather

I am not familiar with using Inventor as an image editor - I would need actual Inventor files to diagnose the true problem.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Robot SadI am unable to post the full model, I will work up an example and post it.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Attached a skeleton, to which I would reference the green legs on the tapered section for the tie plate.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Maybe i should add that im on 2015 sp1 win7 64 bit, if that makes a difference.

Message 15 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me but I do need to see the dataset in order to tell where the problem is. I noticed that you attach a skeletal part to the thread. I think I also need an assembly and the part it is supposed to be associated with. Feel free to send it directly to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks johnsonshiue, now sent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report