Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Making Adjustments to Model

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Astedman
281 Views, 8 Replies

Problems with Making Adjustments to Model

Hi everyone, I work at a small engineering firm and am having some problems on a project I am working on. I am making an as-built of a wash ramp for half ton trucks and I cannot get the length of the ramp in the model to match the length of the existing ramp. The ramp is made of 6"x4"x1/4" HSS and it is mitered at the one end where the top and bottom HSS meet (where the truck begins up the ramp). I am using Inventor 2014 with a skeleton (sketch) and frame generator. The total length I need is 474 5/8" but every time I adjust the total length in the sketch the model will either not change at all or jump from 472.291" to 476.524". If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. I've already asked around my office and nobody has any ideas.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Astedman

Welcome aboard.

Something like this is very hard to guess at without seeing the files... would it be possible to post your frame assembly (with all of the parts) so we can attempt to diagnose?

Hint:  Roll up the EOP to the top and do a Pack and Go to reduce the size and assure all the parts are there.

Message 3 of 9
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Chris that this is hard to diagnose without files or images.

But I will say this.  I know when you use a skeleton file with specific line lengths, if you do not miter

or trim your parts what shows up in the BOM should be that exact length.  But, when the miters are used,

that does change things.  I have always gone with wht ever length is showing up in the BOM for ordering

purposes.  Not sure if this helps you, but it is my two cents.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 9
cbenner

@Astedman wrote:

Hi everyone, I work at a small engineering firm and am having some problems on a project I am working on. I am making an as-built of a wash ramp for half ton trucks and I cannot get the length of the ramp in the model to match the length of the existing ramp. The ramp is made of 6"x4"x1/4" HSS and it is mitered at the one end where the top and bottom HSS meet (where the truck begins up the ramp). I am using Inventor 2014 with a skeleton (sketch) and frame generator. The total length I need is 474 5/8" but every time I adjust the total length in the sketch the model will either not change at all or jump from 472.291" to 476.524". If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. I've already asked around my office and nobody has any ideas.

Let me ask this,.. have you tried "Rebuild All" on the Manage tab?  Sometimes it may be that simple.

Message 5 of 9
Astedman

I agree that its difficult to understand without the file. Unfortunately I talked to my boss and he doesn't like the idea of our "property" being put up on forums. Sorry guys. He suggested making an extrusion on the assembly to cut it back to the correct length but then it won't match the existing ramp. But if he's ok with it thats what I may end up doing. I appreciate the quick replies.

Message 6 of 9
cbenner

You could also try to re-create the issue on a dummy assembly, and then post that here so it's non-proprietary.  Or if your boss would be ok with it, you could email one of us the files to look at privately.  I understand that though, I would have a hard time posting files here too since everything we do is proprietary.

Message 7 of 9
Astedman
in reply to: cbenner

I have tried rebuild all every time I change my sketch.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I would suggest there's some sort of snap turned on but the distance between the two points (4.233") is really odd!

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

Since you can't post your files - see if you can reproduce the behavior.

Sounds to me like you only need one line in the skeleton and one frame member to test.

Can you reproduce?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report