Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with compatibility between inventor 2012 and 2010

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rubodewig
2914 Views, 9 Replies

Problems with compatibility between inventor 2012 and 2010

Hello friends

I´ve started at a school which is using autodesk inventor 2010, but on my computer I have autodesk inventor 2012, and I can´t find the way to open the homework I do at home on the school computers. 

It is supossed that my inventor 2012 saves the files in 2010 format as I can read on the settings, but when I open it on the 2010 in shows me an error message about that it´s not possible open this file. 

Also I´ve tried to save as 2007 format, but it can´t open it. 

What can I do? maybe some of you had the same problem. Maybe there is a solution, please help me with this, I´m having big troubles at school with this thing. 

Thank you 🙂

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
john.laidler
in reply to: rubodewig

You can open 'Inventor 2010' files in 2012, but they are then converted to 2012 format.  You can't open 2012 format files with an older version of Inventor.  Also, there is no 'saveas' to an older format.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 3 of 10
rubodewig
in reply to: john.laidler

Really?? why happened this? there is no way to export or transform the files? I can´t believe that all my work is not useful now... I can´t understand why autodesk did this. 

I´ve been using autocad for a long time, and I can open 2012 files in very old versions with 'save as 2005' for example. 

So there is no solution for me??? 😞

Message 4 of 10
john.laidler

Its not just Autodesk.  This is the case for other solid modeling applications also.  As for AutoCAD, that functionality is there.

With Inventor, you can STEP your files out of 2012 then STEP them into Inventor 2010.  But you will lose the intelligence of the model.

John Laidler

Message 5 of 10
ampster402

@rubodewig wrote:

Really?? why happened this? there is no way to export or transform the files? I can´t believe that all my work is not useful now... I can´t understand why autodesk did this. 

I´ve been using autocad for a long time, and I can open 2012 files in very old versions with 'save as 2005' for example. 

So there is no solution for me??? 😞

and the school you are at, if they don't know the answer to this issue, I'd run away real fast.

As stated, this is the situation with all solid modeling programs.

Message 6 of 10
rubodewig
in reply to: ampster402

and do you know if it happens the same with all versions? I mean: 2010 won´t open 2011 files or it only happens with 2010 and 2012?

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks, Pro/E ..... files are not backward compatible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
john.laidler
in reply to: JDMather

You can't open an Inventor file with a 'older' version of Inventor. 

John Laidler

Message 9 of 10

"With Inventor, you can STEP your files out of 2012 then STEP them into Inventor 2010"

What do you mean by STEP? I need to share files with Solidworks 2010 from Inventor 2012 even if there is model intelligence lost.

Thank you for your help!

Message 10 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Joseph.Randall

File>Save Copy as type STEP (*.stp, *.step)  (use the type *.stp)

STEP (*.stp) is a nuetral format filetype that can be read by just about any CAD program.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report