Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems since installing update sp1 for Inventor 2014

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
CJ.10E-10mm
1281 Views, 8 Replies

Problems since installing update sp1 for Inventor 2014

Since installing service pack 1, the 'Assemble' command on constrained parts/components does not work in Assembly.iam files. When you constrain parts they do not snap-to align until you re-start Inventor. Furthermore if you subsequently free-move a component it does not snap-back to its constrained position on the ‘Assemble’ command.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and have a solution please other than uninstalling the service pack?

Also I have experienced a sketching problem in the base Inventor 2014 programme, namely that sketch lines and arcs when joined do not always stay joined and thus if you try to offset the sketch only the line or arc selected, offsets and not the whole supposedly joined-up sketch. Once again has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Thanks.

CJ

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
SeanFarr
in reply to: CJ.10E-10mm

I am not sure what the issue could be, I just tried some of your contraining and free move issues on my openeded assembly and they snapped back or into place...There was an old thread around here that had similar issues. Do you have any adaptive parts?

Untitled.png

If you have any of the icons in the browser like in the image, Inventor loses it's "snap" functionality that were used to when applying contraints or free moving a contrained component.

I have no idea about the sketching issues. If you sketch something and start at an endpoint that closes the loop typically. Only thing I can think of is maybe the snap got turned off somehow during the update?? and it looks like your starting a line or spline on a endpoint but your not??

Good Luck!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 3 of 9
CJ.10E-10mm
in reply to: SeanFarr

Dear Sean,

Thank you for your kind reply.

I have found that the UPDATE button snaps components into alignment so whilst it is not ideal, it is a compromise solution.

As for the JOIN command not functioning, I am still somewhat baffled!

Thank you once again.

CJ

Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The Update button is on usually means the assembly and components in the assembly have undergone certain change, The assembly is no longer up-to-date and it needs to be computed. There are several workflows leading to the behavior. But, based on the limited information you have provided, I cannot tell if it is functioning correctly or incorrectly.. Could you show me an example of the behaviors so I can take a closer look?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
CJ.10E-10mm
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi johnsonshiue,

My apologies for the much delayed reply.

I simply had 'Defer Update' selected in the Application Options.

Once again please accept my apologies for not responding much earlier

and...Thank You.

CJ

Message 6 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please refrain from apologizing! You did not do anything wrong. I was just worried that you might have identified a SP1 specific behavior. Without further information, there is not much I could do.

Many thanks for providing the update!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
CJ.10E-10mm

Dear johnsonshiue,

I thought I would attach a simple sketch that on my set-up clearly demonstrates my frustration.

I have joined the rectangular/rhombus 4 sided sketch which \I want to be able to offset.

Yet when I endeavour to do so it only offsets the single line I select.

I often receive this error message too: "Error: Method not supported for transient meta."

I would be so grateful if you could please advise me what I am doing wrong for this simple problem drives me insane!

Finally, is it not possible to have construction lines joined up into a sketch with the ability to offset that too, instead of having to have them as continuous lines. I realise you can not use it to extrude a part but in this instance I do not wish to!

I am most grateful.

Thank you again.

CJ

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The main reason the offset fails to create a rectangle is due to diagnoal construction lines. Offset does not differentiate between solid line and construction line. When it sees a branch (a coincident point with more than two line segments attached), it just does not know what to do. As a result, it limites the selection to the first selected segment.

The behavior is made more apparent with the center-point rectangle. In this particular case, you might consider creating the offset line one at a time or delete the construction lines.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
CJ.10E-10mm

Dear johnsonshiue,

Thank you so much for the explanation.

I would never have guessed the **** in the wood pile being the construction lines!

Thank you once again.

CJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report