Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems in importing an assembly made in Inventor to SolidWorks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
hajimeml
3062 Views, 3 Replies

Problems in importing an assembly made in Inventor to SolidWorks

Hi, I have an assembly designed by somebody else in Inventor. I exported it as STP under Inventor 2013 and imported to SolidWorks 2012. It took over half a day. After the import, some of the objects became big spheres. Know what is going on? I then saved a sub-assembly from Inventor and imported to Solidworks. I tried to use Feature Recognition. However, SW reported that "FeatureWorks. Part contains overlapping solids. FeatureWorks can not proceed further." In the tree on the left, I see a list of Imported objects. I cannot even edit those objects. Can anybody please help? What is the best way to import design created in Inventor to SolidWorks anyway?

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dano0310
in reply to: hajimeml

I usually use either step or iges files for exporting to other programs. I don't use solidworks. Tried once briefly seemed overly complicated to do simple things.
Message 3 of 4
mrattray
in reply to: hajimeml

A stp file should be fine, it's what I like to use. It's been a long time since I used SolidWorks now, but I imagine there's some sort of imported solid repair command. You may have to polish up your surfacing skills.

If I was trying to import a file into Inventor, I would use the imported component repair environment to do a delete face on the speheres with a heal option.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 4
hajimeml
in reply to: mrattray

Here are two problems I encountered. When opening Inventor fie in SolidWorks, the parts are scattered. When exporting to STL from Inventor and then imported to SolidWorks, I got the big spheres problem. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report