Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems importing/opening DWG files from AutoCAD 2014 to Inventor Pro 2014

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
austinhall
2857 Views, 4 Replies

Problems importing/opening DWG files from AutoCAD 2014 to Inventor Pro 2014

Hi,

I'm having trouble importing or opening Autocad 2014 .dwg files into Inventor. I'm running Inventor Pro student edition on Windows 8 running on Parallels on a Mac. Autocad 2014 is running on Mac.

I have tried the techniques described in the essentials skills video.

When i select a file to import i cannot see a preview, which is one point of difference to the essential skills video and other youtube tutorials. I'm selcting a file both from a windows 8 folder and from the Mac folder each shows no preview and each has no further option and nothing happens when i select 'open'.

I can open an AutoCAD file in the viewer (a simple square) however i cannot copy anything into the model space, i cannot paste anything onto a plane where i have inserted a 2D sketch.

Also the DWG/DXF wizard does not show up when i try to import a file as in the online videos, no options of selecting line types and what to import etc.

I'm importing very specific aero foil shapes which have been generated on aeronautical design programs and exported/imported to Autocad so i cannot simply redraw them in Inventor, could there be a problem with that file? I cannot even import a square or circle so it can't be just the file type.

I'm at a losss to explain this, i have no idea what to do now and i'm very frustrated. I have spent about 6 hours following every tutorial and video instruction explicitely.

I've attached a wing foil section file for others to try. Is there a formating issue or a missing step or restriction with the student version?

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Austin

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: austinhall

The student license is fully functional.  I just imported your dwg into Inventor Pro 2014 Student License.

Import AutoCAD.png

Have you installed Service Pack 1 and Update 3 for Service Pack 1?

Many threads here on running Inventor in Win 8(.1) having trouble with importing AutoCAD - have you tried the solutions in those discussion threads?

What is the website that you are getting that profile (does it output Excel or txt file?  Inventor can create also create a profile from Excel or txt.   Or you can use an equation curve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
austinhall
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you very much for your reply, i will follow up with you reccomendations. I have not updated the service pack yet, i have searched for other AutoCAD import problem threads but couldn't find many i will have a further look and try any solutions outlined and try to import again. Thank you for your help.  

Message 4 of 5
austinhall
in reply to: JDMather

The foil curve is from a software called profili2. http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.asp

There is software available that will export numerical data for common foils in a .txt file but profili has greater development and tools.

Thanks, i'll follow up the other AutoCAD import threads.

Message 5 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: austinhall

@austinhall wrote:

...i have searched for other AutoCAD import problem threads but couldn't find many i will have a further look and try any solutions outlined and try to import again. Thank you for your help.  

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/When-inserting-importing-DWG-files-into-Inventor-noth...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report