Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Shelling a Complex Part

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Haskid
2424 Views, 11 Replies

Problem with Shelling a Complex Part

Hello,

I have worked with inventor for a little while now, but am just getting into some more complex work. I am working on a small project, and am trying to shell out a scan of a human head to be 0.125 thick. However, with the complexity of the exterior, and the fact that the part is already shelled (it is just way too thick), I am having a lot of issues. I thought if I could fill the internal volume and re-shell it may work, but I don't know how to do that! Not sure how it can be done, but any help is appreciated!

My attachment was too large, so attached below is an .STL file of the piece. I just used the mesh enabler on it, then derived the part to be ~0.1604 the size, to make it closer to the average size of a human head instead of how huge it is here!

Also, I am using 2015 version.

-Ian

Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: Haskid

You can use the Delete Face command with option "Select Void".

Anyway it will be a very difficult solid to shell due the curves and radii.

I suggest a different solution for remove internal material.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Haskid
in reply to: admaiora

Here is the link to the original part that I am using, in case you're curious: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11878

I don't necessarily need to delete faces, if there was a way to fill in the head and then shell it that would work. Maybe if I could somehow combine all of the outer individual triangles into a single face? I am open to any solutions, what would you suggest I do to remove the internal material?

Message 4 of 12
admaiora

i don't have mesh enabler installed so i can't operate on a STL file.

I think that you can fill it with no difficulties.

Then when you will remove material i predict that due to the complex shape, curves all on the way...raddi you will find difficulties.

What 's your objective?

Admaiora
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
ampster402

I've only done it once or twice, but there is a way to shell a solid body without having to select any faces - I just can't recall the workflow getting to that.

I don't have 2015 so I didn't bother d/l'ing your file, but if this file started out in Inventor and a Shell feature was used previously, it can be as simple as just deleting that Shell feature and redoing it using the method where you can shell a solid body without selecting any faces.

I say it can be that simple, but depending on what followed the Shell in terms of features added to it afterwards, they might blow up when you go to delete the Shell.

Message 6 of 12
Haskid
in reply to: admaiora

I would upload the part file but it is way too large to be uploaded. Also, the .STL file that I originally attached is not a 2015 specific file, so you should be able to download it ampster.

But, what you wrote originally worked with a little effort-- I used the delete faces tool to delete the base, which connected the inside and outside, and deleted the interior shell from there. Now I am just dealing with issues trying to thicken the piece to 0.125 inches, as you predicted. I have tried using the "Thicken/Offset" tool, but after waiting for 2 minutes for the program to work (due to the complexity of the piece) it gives me an error, stating "The attempted Thicken operation would result in a large topology change. Try with a smaller thickness."

Message 7 of 12
wilkhui

Hi Ian,

Have you come across an Autodesk tool called meshmixer? It might be more appropriate for this type of model.

You can see a tutorial of meshmixer shelling here, hopefully this is useful. Let us know either way!

Thanks,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: wilkhui

Nice Wilkhu! I didn't know that!

Admaiora

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
Haskid

Wilkhui,

Downloaded this tool, and it made quick work of my problem. Had to get used to the setup, but wow did it do exactly what I wanted-- can't thank you enough! Awesome tool.

-Ian

Message 10 of 12
wilkhui

Thanks Ian, glad to hear that it worked for you 🙂

Best wishes,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 12
rms_adsk

I'm glad meshmixer worked out for you!

Just a tip: that youtube video was done before we had our new Offset tool, which does a better job of computing an offset surface with consistent wall thickness. It sometimes leaves little pinches in the mesh, but it will not have as many issues with internal parts ending up on the outside, etc. 

(if you do try this tool, check the 'Connected' box to stitch the shells together)

cheers -RMS

---
Ryan Schmidt - Autodesk Research / Design & Fabrication Group - Creator of Autodesk meshmixer
Message 12 of 12
Haskid
in reply to: rms_adsk

Everything worked out wonderfully with the program, I figured it out quickly and there were no pinches at all. I was even able to do some things with the software I didn't know I need initially but ended up using it for much more than I had intended. Great program, will definitely reccomend.

-Ian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report