Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with mirroring a close proximity shell

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
plapping12
502 Views, 7 Replies

Problem with mirroring a close proximity shell

So I did some searching on ehre and found the delete face command, which only marginally fixed the issue. Essentially I am trying to model a cylinder head and am following a tutorial that was done in Solidworks. My issue here is that when I mirror the components to the final product imaged as v1 and v3, I get interlocking faces that create an unwanted void inbetween the exhaust and intake paths. Deleted the face on one side leaves the lip of the face still. Can't find any guidance through searching and hopefully this hasn't been covered before. Thanks in advance for any help with this issue. Attached is pre mirror, post mirror, and post mirror with face delete. I tried a mirror solids and mirror features and both had the same results.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: plapping12

What is the source of the original SWx tutorial (url?)

This does not appear to be correct modeling technique for SWx or Inventor (Shell effects the entire part - should only be one shell feature).

Delete Face is almost always the wrong technique when used by a beginner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
plapping12
in reply to: JDMather

http://grabcad.com/questions/tutorial-how-to-make-engine-part-1

I did read that it usually isn't the correct solution for beginners, but was running out of solutions.

Oh, and its right under the V12 File about halfway through the list.

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

@plapping12 wrote:

Oh, and its right under the V12 File about halfway through the list.

Does that mean you can supply a direct link without requiring searching ABOUT halfway through the list?

Maybe even attach the *.sldprt file here?

Never mind, I think I found it

http://grabcad.com/questions/tutorial-how-to-make-engine-part-28

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8
plapping12

Sorry....it is multiple part so if I included one link that is only one part of it. 

Well I notice one issue possibly, when I do the loft I cannot get it to only loft the distance between the two circles in my sketch, it selects the whole face and cannot remove the interior. Learning as I go, can't figure out how to remove the center which would make a Shell command not needed. 

Did a loft cut instead of shell this time, will see what happens.

Edit: Same issue.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

Well, I gave up as the tutorial is poorly written in bits and pieces and I would have to do the entire thing from scratch to have any confidence in any solution I might post.

I was really only interested in any step that instructs to Shell twice.

Message 7 of 8
plapping12

They actually do a cut loft which is what I have changed to now, I have learned a bit since I did that and shell isn't appropriate there I guess. Still has the same issue when mirroring though. As poorly written as it is, still happy someone took the time to try and contribute to those trying to learn more complex modeling. Thanks for trying though.

Attached is the cut-loft version.

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! For this particular case, I personally would not use Shell. Just as JD already mentioned, Shell operates on the entire body. In your case, you need hollowing in certain area or faces. I would use a hybrid modeling approach (Solid and Surface). Thicken the surfaces when hollowing is needed. Or, you will need to create a joint feature first and a smaller cut later to hollow it.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report