Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with making a handle

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
655 Views, 12 Replies

Problem with making a handle

Hi!

I have problems making a "wave" looking handle(see attached file). tried to use splines and loft but couldn't make it work.

I'm quite new to inventor,Any suggestion on how i can make this.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Extrude Loft and Shell will be the command you want to become familiar with.

Attach the file of what you have been able to complete so far. (*.ipt)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
freegoodkharma

Many beautiful curves can be made without Splines!

Yours Truly

Carl T.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: freegoodkharma

This is what i have done so far(see attached file) and still not right. I just did half of it(and reflect later), is that a good idea?

Carl T: I couldn't open your file, probably because i use the 2012 version. Thank for your help!

Message 5 of 13
freegoodkharma

Why for art thou no backward companionability.  It is a pox upon us all.  Here is a peg for you made with regular curves.

Yours truly

Carl T.

Message 6 of 13
JDMather

@freegoodkharma wrote:

Here is a peg for you made with regular curves.

The continuity doesn't look very smooth?  Not because of the curves you used (they would be fine used properly) but becuase of the technique you used.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

This is what i have done so far(see attached file) and still not right. I just did half of it(and reflect later), is that a good idea?

There is an anomaly in one of your edges because of the way you created the geometry.
Anomaly.PNG

I would generally not use Mirror for Loft features (search Google for Ed Eaton Curvy Stuff tutorials for a discussion of problems with this technique (written for a different SW, but the principles are the same.))

I would model the flat section and then Loft to the cut face of the flat - this will give you Tangency control to make a smooth blend.

Message 8 of 13
freegoodkharma
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you

I was just trying to show that I would not model that with Splines or surfaces, when a simpler technique of lofting and extruding profiles might yield better results.  To add weight to a profile I will use might use multiple profiles, something l started doing with the first 3ds studio.  Is this better or worse?

Yours truly,

Carl T.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Could you please show me what you mean with making the flat section and then Loft.

would be most appreciated

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

I agree it was a bit tricky to use spline, couldn't get a good curveture on both sides.

you said that you use regular curves,did you mean an arc? where can i find the same curve that you use

Best regards

Message 11 of 13
freegoodkharma

I am sorry I am sorry I forgot that you cannot open my .ipt and when I opened your file it was just a surface that I was unable to do anything with?  I made that part with just circle ellipse and line then trimmed what I could then deleted circles and used arc where circle could not be trimmed.  Then I trimmed some more. Offset the line connected the two curves with line and then Closed loop I am not sure if that is really necessary. Made sketches on planes and lofted. 

Yours truly,

Cart T.

Message 12 of 13
JDMather

It will work fine with arcs or with spline if done correctly,  but I am using 2013 and don't have time to do screen captures step-by-step.

Create the flat section.
Loft to edge with tangency.

Message 13 of 13
freegoodkharma

There is a good tutorial provided by Autodesk and CadLearning at http://www.autodesk.cadlearning.com/moodle/login/index.php and the surface tutorial is at http://www.autodesk.cadlearning.com/moodle/file.php/78/invs12c0023t0001.html .  

Yours truly

Carl T.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report