Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with constrain

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
triplecorpse
467 Views, 4 Replies

Problem with constrain

I am novice in Inventor and I have a little problem with consrain. I create an assembly and insert 2 parts (2 boxes). After placing they stay edge to edge as shown on figure 1. I wish them stand one over another with gap 1mm as shown on figure 2 (I moved it).

What do I do for it? I select Constrain, as I was teached in official tutorial, then select both centers of parts sketches. I have a result, shown on figuree 3. Boxes are one into another without exact point matching. The offset parameter moves it along wrong axis. How can I get wished assembly?

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 64bit on Windows 7
Build 138
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: triplecorpse

When you start the Constrain tool, it defaults to Mate-Mate.  Select one face of Part 1, then select the adjacent face of Part 2, then set your 1 mm offset.  That accomplishes one constraint.  You will need two more to remove all degrees of freedom between the two parts.

Message 3 of 5
triplecorpse
in reply to: SBix26

You mean, I need to calculate on paper the distance between thin faces and make two more constrain with needed offset? For my simpliest work? It sounds scaring.

I made a video, that represents my first stage. Do I make all right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJuw4O9c8ug

Build 138
Message 4 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: triplecorpse

It looks as if you made your first constraint correctly-- you now have two plates constrained so that their faces are 1mm apart.  But there are still three degrees of freedom between them: movement in two directions, and rotation.  You can prove this to yourself by dragging the ungrounded plate with your mouse.

I don't know how you want the two plates constrained to each other, so I can't tell you how to make the others.  One typical method would be to have the centers line up.  If this is what you want, and if you modeled them centered on their respective origins, then all that is needed are two constraints between pairs of origin planes.

If you tell us or show us how you want them aligned with each other, then we can tell you how to accomplish that.  And it does not require doing hand calculations!

Message 5 of 5
triplecorpse
in reply to: SBix26

With some manipulations while recording video, I reached wished result 🙂 I constrained two biggest planes one to another with offset by clicking them in the browser, not in viewport, and then grounded both parts. The problem is solved, thanks

Build 138

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report