Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem moving plane

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ben.berks
2105 Views, 6 Replies

Problem moving plane

I created a new work plane that I wanted to offset from a surface by 1/2".  When I click the plane grips I can move with the mouse.  But, according to the help file, a pop-up should allow me to type the exact value I want.  But the pop-up does not occur.  How to I get the pop-up?

Thank you,

BennyB

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ben.berks

Either double click the work plane or right click and select edit dimension.

Message 3 of 7
ben.berks

That did not work.  See attachment that shows those options are not available.  Any other suggestions?

Message 4 of 7
punisher

Ben,

Looks like you created a Work Plane on the face of a solid. You cannot MOVE that face. When you grip it, and pull the grips, you are ONLY SLIDING IT (The plane goes forever, so you aren't changing anything).

What you need to do, is Creat Work Plane -> Pick the face desired, and Pull in the correct direction. 

Additionally, if you want to keep the plane that's there, create a new plane and pick it as the reference, then pull.

Any plane offset from a reference will THEN allow you to 'edit dimension'.

John Evans
Autodesk Certified Professional

http://designandmotion.net
Message 5 of 7
ben.berks

I see now.  Looks like the pop-up offset is only available during creation of the plane.  Once creation has been finished, the offset option is not available.

Thank you,  BennyB

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@ben.berks wrote:

Once creation has been finished, the offset option is not available.

Sure it is.  You can edit offset distance at any time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
mouthpear

Either double click the work plane or right click and select edit dimension,you will not see the change until you click Update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report