Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem: Dims at intersection of two centerlines

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
194 Views, 2 Replies

Problem: Dims at intersection of two centerlines

I need to add a dimension to an Inventor Dwg and I’m having some problems. I need to place a horizontal dimension that shows the distance between the intersection of two w-flange centerlines. I've attached a screen shot that shows what I'm taking about.

In Autocad I would just use the “INT” Osnap. However, Inventor won’t allow me to pick the intersection of these two centerlines (shown outlines by white ellipses). I could make a sketch and project the geometry. But that seems like a “round about” way of getting the job done. Tell me that there is an easier way!

Thank You,
D. Greco
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't know if this will work as it involved two different types of geometry, activate the Dimension function, select the
upright centre-line, RMB and select Intersection, select the horizontal line. Do the same with the angled line. RMB and select
Horizontal Dimension.

HTH
--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be
as mad as what passes for ordinary living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

wrote in message news:5851995@discussion.autodesk.com...
I need to add a dimension to an Inventor Dwg and I'm having some problems. I need to place a horizontal dimension that shows
the distance between the intersection of two w-flange centerlines. I've attached a screen shot that shows what I'm taking
about.

In Autocad I would just use the "INT" Osnap. However, Inventor won't allow me to pick the intersection of these two
centerlines (shown outlines by white ellipses). I could make a sketch and project the g
eometry. But that seems like a "round about" way of getting the job done. Tell me that there is an easier way!

Thank You,
D. Greco
Message 3 of 3
gabriel.lengyel
in reply to: Anonymous

Known limitation is that you cannot select intersection of two crossing centerlines (referenced as ID 804341). You can select intersection of edge and centerline if edge is selected first. In other words, intersection command is not in context menu if centerline is selected first.

Workaround could be following: you can create dimension attached temporarily to some other point and drag end point of extension line to intersection of centermarks. Reattaching dimension to intersection of two centermarks should work for projected dimensions.

I hope the workaround helps.

Regards,

Gabriel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums