Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing 1:1 scale 2d sketch

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
sjensen313
10381 Views, 3 Replies

Printing 1:1 scale 2d sketch

Hi there,

I'm sorry if this is a newbie question but I have inventor 2014 and I would like to print a scale model of a 2D sketch that I have been working on just to make sure that the sizes fit with some real life parts I have. When I press print settings, I click on properties and then effects. I can select under resizing options to print the actual size but when I actually print it, it is far smaller than it should be. What is also weird is that the background is black and it matches what it looks like on my screen (black background, green outlines, white dimensions) and not what an autocad would look like where the lines are black on a white background. (see attached picture)

I know I am doing something, but what is it?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: sjensen313

It looks like some sort of simple plate.

Can you just Extrude or Face (at least the outer boundary)

Then you could retrieve sketch into drawing and print 1:1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
cwhetten
in reply to: sjensen313

Hi and welcome to the forum!

To get a print like you describe, start a new drawing file (.idw), then place a view of your part into the drawing sheet.  Use the appropriate orientation (Front, Top, Right...) so you can see your sketch.

If your part consists only of sketches, (i.e. no solid geometry), then you should see your sketch on the drawing sheet.  However, if you have solid geometry in your part, sketches don't automatically show up.  If this is the case, find the part in your browser, right-click it and choose Get Model Sketches (see below).

Get Model Sketches.png

Now, this doesn't automatically show the sketches either, it just exposes them as nodes in the view browser.  So, expand the node for your part, find your sketch, then right-click it and choose Include.

Include Model Sketch.png

You should now see your sketch.  Check the view scale to make sure it is 1:1 (double-click the view to see the options).

Just print the drawing and you should get what you want.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 4 of 4
sjensen313
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the response back! To anyone else who comes across this, I found this video that explained how to set the rest of it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QJn2bVRE3A

EDIT: Oh wow thanks cwhetten for the detailed response, I'll have to try that technique next!  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report