Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Settings

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
sw_convert
315 Views, 11 Replies

Print Settings

AutoCAD Print Settings is one of the most advanced features in software applications today, but yet Inventor severely lacks that kind of functionality.

Perhaps, I'm just missing something here?

Question 1: Is it possible to save print settings with each .idw file? Currently, Inventor saves your last print setting and that is what it uses for all files; therefore, having to change your settings for each file if the format size is different or you just want to print an area.

Question 2: Can someone explain the logic behind the current print functionality of Inventor? They have done so well with AutoCAD, why go backwards (IMHO) with Inventor?

Dennis
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: sw_convert

You're taking a big risk using the name "SW_Convert" - but that's your prerogative.

1. No

2. Majority of companies have standards for engineering drawings and therefore all
drawings should be printed the same. I think that's the logic.

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by
fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary
living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs

wrote in message news:5386149@discussion.autodesk.com...
AutoCAD Print Settings is one of the most advanced features in software applications
today, but yet Inventor severely lacks that kind of functionality.

Perhaps, I'm just missing something here?

Question 1: Is it possible to save print settings with each .idw file? Currently,
Inventor saves your last print setting and that is what it uses for all files;
therefore, having to change your settings for each file if the format size is
different or you just want to print an area.

Question 2: Can someone explain the logic behind the current print functionality of
Inventor? They have done so well with AutoCAD, why go backwards (IMHO) with
Inventor?

Dennis
Message 3 of 12
sw_convert

Well, SW_Convert was meant in Humor..... being new here, I'm hoping ppl do have somewhat of a sense of humor. I could be wrong!! In any case, I still very much love SW, and have been enjoying IV since I've started using it.

There is many things IV does better and the same in reverse. Currently, I'm used to doing things the way SW has those things setup, so there is a definate learning curve/frustration thing going on. BUT.... This too shall pass! 🙂

Thx for your response Duncan!
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Dennis:

I won't disagree that it would be nice if the idw would retain settings
with the idw. There is room for improvement.

Do I favour following the ACAD route. Not a chance. All those PCP
files and having to set up the page and getting an warning message
because the person who sent you the file has a different plotter and...

I'd like more features, but I'll take the short and sweet IV version.

Richard

SW_Convert wrote:
> AutoCAD Print Settings is one of the most advanced features in software applications today, but yet Inventor severely lacks that kind of functionality.
>
> Perhaps, I'm just missing something here?
>
> Question 1: Is it possible to save print settings with each .idw file? Currently, Inventor saves your last print setting and that is what it uses for all files; therefore, having to change your settings for each file if the format size is different or you just want to print an area.
>
> Question 2: Can someone explain the logic behind the current print functionality of Inventor? They have done so well with AutoCAD, why go backwards (IMHO) with Inventor?
>
> Dennis
Message 5 of 12
ljapsey

Question 2: Can someone explain the logic behind the current print functionality of Inventor? They have done so well with AutoCAD, why go backwards (IMHO) with Inventor?

Well, I couldn't disagree "totally"..."more".....when the went the new route with Acad a few years back....it went totally in the toilet, saving the settings to each drawing......***Yuck***
Larry
Thanks, Larry
System Specs:
Dell Optiplex 745
Pentium D, 3.0 Ghz, 4 GB of Ram
Windows XP Pro SP2
Autodesk Inventor Suite 2011
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Graphics Driver - 6.14.11.9745
SpaceTraveler, Driver Verizon 6.7.13
Message 6 of 12
JDMather

I agree with you. I have different size sheets set up in the drawing resources of my idw template. It would be really nice if I could also set up the printer sheet size setting with the sheet format. I guess the problem is identifying the printer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
Ronnie_m

Download Kents Kwikprints then wonder how Autodesk couldn't have included it in Inventor from the start!!

Ronnie
Message 8 of 12
ljapsey

Now there is a statement that I can support!

Kwikprints...."ROCKS"........What a great add-on!

Larry
Thanks, Larry
System Specs:
Dell Optiplex 745
Pentium D, 3.0 Ghz, 4 GB of Ram
Windows XP Pro SP2
Autodesk Inventor Suite 2011
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Graphics Driver - 6.14.11.9745
SpaceTraveler, Driver Verizon 6.7.13
Message 9 of 12
sw_convert

Well Larry, if your DWG sizes are all the same, I wouldn't expect you to favor that route. Since we used the gambit of paper formats, it becomes somewhat frustrating to change the paper size each time you have to print.

You might say we print ALOT, where I'm at. The prints are required each time a job is run. Often times we print 20-30 DWG's depending on the schedule. Using from A to E formats, makes it kind of hard to just print them. Batch Printing with A'CAD was nice. It was even nicer when you printed to two different print devices. (sorry, slightly sidetracked)
Message 10 of 12
martiste

Me too I would like the paper size to be saved with the IDW file. I hate having to use add ons, after a few releases things tends to break down.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Printing? On paper? Bah! This is the 21st century! Just give everyone a
tablet PC and a copy of the dwf viewer! 😉

Seriously, this hasn't been a huge problem for me so I guess I've never
given it much though. We do the bulk of our printouts in the company from
Acrobat since we're currently using .pdf as our default drawing format in
the company. We're looking at converting to .dwf, but still, most printing
would be done from the viewer.

The Autocad print format is nice in that the default settings are there, but
at the same time it's so much more complicated that a lot of people who
aren't regular Autocad users tend to be baffled by it. Also, at least for
us, the type of printout varies depending on the user. Document control may
want the full D size drawing but the engineer may prefer it scaled down to a
B. They guy in the shop wants an A since he can clip that next to his mill.

If they did add an Autocad print interface though, it wouldn't bother me too
much.

Pat
Message 12 of 12
Josh_Petitt

>We do the bulk of our printouts in the company from Acrobat

us too. This works well because the IV user can publish the drawing when they are finished. However, the PDF printer doesn't seem to recognize different paper sizes (typ we use 11x17, but some parts are printed on 8-1/2x11). This means that the IV user has to print at least twice and then combine the drawings manually.

However, when printing from Acrobat it is easy because there is the option to "Choose source by paper size" Message was edited by: Josh_Petitt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report